Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2005)
 High resolution backgrounds for form generation

Author  Topic 

jason@mercer
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-29 : 15:22:06
I'm trying to generate some pre-populated forms for printing via SSRS and had some success using backgrounds as the template for the form, but I'm unable to use a high resolution image and have it sized correctly.

The image I'm trying to use it 300dpi and whenever i embed this image and use it as a background, SSRS doesn't treat it as such and the image isn't sized correctly. I've tried using a lower res image (96dpi) so that the background displays properly on the form when generated, but the quality when printed is not good enough.

Is there some workaround for this?

Thanks!

dexter.knudson
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

260 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-29 : 23:49:01
There's a 'sizing' property for images. Check your settings on this. Also, sometimes the Visual Studio appearance is a little different to the deployed appearance. If you haven't deployed it yet & looked at it thru the browser, you may want to check this.
Are all your users accessing via LAN? A high res image will make a nice fat page for remote access :)
Go to Top of Page

jason@mercer
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-30 : 10:44:28
thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to render it via PDF and it looks the same as when I'm viewing via visual studio or the browser. The problem is that I need the image to repeat throughout the report and here's where I got stuck:

1) If I use the Background Image property of the report, there is no "Sizing" property for it. It's not in the RDL schema (I tried putting it in)

2) If I use a Image item via the toolbar, I can use the sizing property to "Fit Proportional", but I can't get it to repeat per page.

The users will be accessing it via LAN. so bandwidth will not be a concern :)
Go to Top of Page

dexter.knudson
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

260 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-31 : 19:27:52
If you have a unique value in your data set for every page, you could try putting the image onto a list & setting the 'group by' on the list according to this. It should then repeat on each page.
Go to Top of Page

jason@mercer
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 13:27:45
Thanks! That worked perfectly! I just ended up added a second table underneath the first table of data, and the text overlays the images. It won't render correctly under HTML (it uses two tables and pushes the data below the image table, but that's not required for this solution.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -