Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 replication and msMerge_tombstone problems

Author  Topic 

TSharp
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-12 : 15:51:27
We currently have SQL Server 2000 and have merge replication. We have the following process:

1. Data is transfered to a laptop, data on the laptop is changed and the data on the server is 'locked' no changes can be made.

2. After a few days, the laptop is returned to the office.

3. A script is ran to delete the data on the publisher. Replication works, the subscriber side is updated with the change (no data in the tables).

4. A DTS package is then ran to transfer the data from the laptop to the publisher. Replication does not work at this time, Data exists on the publisher side, but not the subscriber side. The replication monitor detial session does not indicate there are any problems and appears to be running like normal.

5. The same DTS package was then ran on the subscriber side to get the data there. This worked.

We now run into the following problem when trying to delete a row out of one of the tables. Cannot insert duplicate key row in object "MSmerge_tombstone' with unique index 'uc1MSmerge_tombstone' The statement has been terminated.

My first question is why does the replication not work when the DTS package is ran?
The second question is, any ideas why we can not delete a row out of the table?

Thanks
Tsharp

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-12 : 22:20:51
For 4, did you see any error in merge agent?

For delete, MSmerge_tombstone table contains information on deleted rows and allows deletes to be propagated to other Subscribers. The message you got means that those rows are deleted already already and waiting for replication, you need find out which step did that. Trace them in profiler if necessary.
Go to Top of Page

TSharp
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-13 : 11:28:34
Thanks for responding, there were no errors with in merge agent. We also ran Validate all subscritions and did not have any errors. How would I go about doing a trace with in the profiler? (as you can see, I am new to this environment)
Thanks
Tsharp
Go to Top of Page

TSharp
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-13 : 11:39:09
I found some useful info on the trace profiler, I do not need a response on it... Now the question is, is there anything that can be done to fix this problem, espeically with the msmerge_tombstone file?
Tsharp
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-13 : 22:19:40
Take look at sp_mergecleanupmetadata.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -