Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 SQL & HTML

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-29 : 10:06:06
Dave writes "Actually, I don't really have a question, although I can coach it in such a way...

What have you found to be the most efficient OR fastest method for building html lists or tables using SQL and/or ado?
My answer is that I incorporate the html element tags into the sql stored proc:
example:
<PRE style="color:green">
CREATE PROC sp_GetHTMLList
AS
SELECT '<OPTION VALUE=''' + CONVERT(VARCHAR(5), FieldID)
+ '''>' + FieldLabel + '</OPTION>'
FROM TableList
ORDER BY FieldLabel

With this type of statement, I can simple use a recordset.getString call to return long lists or tables.

Do you know of a faster way?"

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-29 : 11:03:39
I use GetString() with the appropriate tags most of the time. Option lists are tricky, and I use EXACTLY the same thing you described for them! I don't see any performance problems including the HTML in the query.

GetString with tags works beautifully on HTML tables, basically it works where you have a lot of columns and rows that need to be delimited the same way. To me it's more flexible; I don't have to write a custom procedure or query just to format it as HTML.

As long as you stay away from the dreaded While Not rs.EOF...rs.MoveNext...Wend to build your HTML you should do pretty well.

Go to Top of Page

lfmn
Posting Yak Master

141 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-29 : 11:44:59
I use the following code to build lists and tables, but I would be interested to know why robvolk doesn't like the Do While loop. Maybe I've been lucky all these years, but I've never had a problem with it.

sql1 = "select distinct TypeMusic from fndBand(nolock)"
set oRS1 = oConn.Execute(sql1)

Response.Write "<tr><td align=right><b>Genre: </b></td><td><select name=Genre>"
Do While NOT oRS1.EOF
Response.Write "<OPTION VALUE='" & oRS1("TypeMusic") & "'>"
Response.Write oRS1("TypeMusic") & "</OPTION>"
oRS1.MoveNext
Loop
oRS1.Close
Set oRS1=nothing
Response.Write "</select></td></tr>"

cursors are like hammers - sometimes you have to use them, but watch your thumb!
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-29 : 12:04:20
Check out this site:

www.learnasp.com

And look for anything on GetString and GetRows. He has a bunch of examples and experiments that show how much of an improvement they make. Here's a few:

http://www.learnasp.com/learn/getrowsultimate.asp
http://www.learnasp.com/learn/rsfast-table.asp

In your example, if you're only talking about 20-30 maximum rows for your option lists, then you probably won't seem a big improvement. If you are building 100, 200, 1000+ row tables with Do...While...rs.MoveNext, trust me, GetString will BLOW THE DOORS off of your current code.

I have web pages that pull up 1200 row (x 10 columns) tables in 10 seconds or less, using GetString, and most of that is HTML rendering time, not data transfer time. They would probably time out using a loop. And a lot of timeout problems that people post here are due to a While...rs.MoveNext loop. Also, you can perform a single response.Write of the string that GetString generates, instead of hundreds. I also get beautiful formatting when I combine it with some CSS.

Like I said, GetString is tricky to use with OPTION lists, and your method or Dave's is better. But you really can't beat GetString when building HTML tables. Test it out if you have any big tables and see what happens. I'm pretty sure you'll like it!

Go to Top of Page

lfmn
Posting Yak Master

141 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-29 : 12:28:04
Thanks for the tip. I'm definately going to try it.

quote:

Check out this site:

www.learnasp.com

And look for anything on GetString and GetRows. He has a bunch of examples and experiments that show how much of an improvement they make. Here's a few:

http://www.learnasp.com/learn/getrowsultimate.asp
http://www.learnasp.com/learn/rsfast-table.asp

In your example, if you're only talking about 20-30 maximum rows for your option lists, then you probably won't seem a big improvement. If you are building 100, 200, 1000+ row tables with Do...While...rs.MoveNext, trust me, GetString will BLOW THE DOORS off of your current code.

I have web pages that pull up 1200 row (x 10 columns) tables in 10 seconds or less, using GetString, and most of that is HTML rendering time, not data transfer time. They would probably time out using a loop. And a lot of timeout problems that people post here are due to a While...rs.MoveNext loop. Also, you can perform a single response.Write of the string that GetString generates, instead of hundreds. I also get beautiful formatting when I combine it with some CSS.

Like I said, GetString is tricky to use with OPTION lists, and your method or Dave's is better. But you really can't beat GetString when building HTML tables. Test it out if you have any big tables and see what happens. I'm pretty sure you'll like it!

cursors are like hammers - sometimes you have to use them, but watch your thumb!
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-29 : 17:19:38
Hi all

Here is another take on it....run this in northwind

Declare @ProductID int
SELECT @ProductID = 3 --or any product you want selected

select
1 as tag,
Null as parent,
ProductID as [option!1!value],
Case ProductID
WHEN @ProductID THEN 'SELECTED'
ELSE NULL END as [option!1!selected],
ProductName as [option!1!]

from Products
order by ProductName

FOR XML EXPLICIT

Damian
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-29 : 18:34:41
Damian, I was going to say, "You're my HERO!" because I was looking for a way to do this and get the appropriate SELECTED option. But then I realized that I have SQL 7, not 2000, and SQL 7 apparently doesn't understand FOR XML.

So then, after brooding for a few moments, I decided, "Hey, I'm an Aged Yak Warrior, I bet I can modify his code!" So I did, and here it is...

Declare @ProductID int
SELECT @ProductID = 3 --or any product you want selected
select '<option value="' + CAST(ProductID as varchar(5)) + Case ProductID
WHEN @ProductID THEN '" SELECTED'
ELSE '"'
END + '>' + ProductName + '</option>' as ListText,
from Products
order by ProductName

And so, now I can say, Damian, You're my HERO!

-------------------
It's a SQL thing...
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-29 : 18:46:35

Yeah I should have specified SQL 2000 for the XML bit. But yep, that way works too. The advantage of the XML is it returns it as one string and you don't need to do any looping.
Also you don't need the

bit in yours, you have everything you need in one column.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-29 : 18:56:09
quote:
Also you don't need the

bit in yours, you have everything you need in one column.

Oops! I was so excited that it worked, I forgot to take that out after my last test. Thanks.

Now, with everything in one field, can't you just do an RS.GetString on it and write it out?

-------------------
It's a SQL thing...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -