Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Replication (2005)
 Fail over Replication

Author  Topic 

carumuga
Posting Yak Master

174 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-23 : 02:28:37
Hi,

I'm new to replication and I would like to know on failover, how to bring the standby server to primary server. I also heard that it would be wise to choose replication only when i want to use it as a reporting server/Decison support system because the replication doesnt have capability to replicate all objects from the primary.
I think, should opt for choosing the log shipping for the disaster recovery scenario because replication has partial data in the standby server.

Basically I want to get clear on two things.
1. Steps for bring the standby server to Primary
2. What are the objects/articles available for replication

Am i talking in the right sense?. Please help me.

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-23 : 04:13:49
Replication doesn't have the ability to automatically make the subscriber the 'primary' server. To do that, you'd have to write code to drop the existing publication and subscription, reverse the direction (subscriber becomes publisher) and then redirect the applications to the new machine.

If you're looking for a hot standby database with auto-failover, then look at database mirroring.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-23 : 08:19:27
If you are using Reporting services in Secondary server, then Transactional replication is a way to go.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -