Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Replication (2005)
 Problem connecting to SQL Server

Author  Topic 

greg99
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-23 : 11:26:01
I'm trying to set up replication and am running into a problem. I have the publisher/distributor running on a single server and have a publication set up fine. But when I try to set up a subscription and attempt to connect to the distributor machine, I cannot. I get stuck on the screen where it wants me to connect to the distributor machine. I understand you have to give it the actual server name along with the machine name. So for instance, I enter "10.200.233.31/ICTTCDEV". But when I enter this, I get the following error:

Failed to connect to server 10.200.233.31/ICTTCDEV. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (proivder: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 67)

Now, I can connect to this server just fine via SQL Server when not attempting to connect via this replication subscription wizard, so all my settings on my server are enabled. Named pipes enabled, remote connection enabled, etc. The only thing I can think that could be causing an issue is that the distributor server machine is on a domain while my subscriber machine is not.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

afrika
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2706 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-23 : 11:28:27
You have to enable remote connections

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914277
Go to Top of Page

afrika

2706 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-23 : 11:30:26
Also see
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=110886
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-23 : 11:33:47
quote:
Originally posted by greg99

I'm trying to set up replication and am running into a problem. I have the publisher/distributor running on a single server and have a publication set up fine. But when I try to set up a subscription and attempt to connect to the distributor machine, I cannot. I get stuck on the screen where it wants me to connect to the distributor machine. I understand you have to give it the actual server name along with the machine name. So for instance, I enter "10.200.233.31/ICTTCDEV". But when I enter this, I get the following error:

Failed to connect to server 10.200.233.31/ICTTCDEV. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (proivder: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 67)

Now, I can connect to this server just fine via SQL Server when not attempting to connect via this replication subscription wizard, so all my settings on my server are enabled. Named pipes enabled, remote connection enabled, etc. The only thing I can think that could be causing an issue is that the distributor server machine is on a domain while my subscriber machine is not.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

You should rather enable TCP/IP
Go to Top of Page

greg99
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-24 : 12:16:32
Hello,

Thanks for the responses. I already had remote connections enabled and both named pipes + TCP/IP enabled. I have Windows Firewall completely disabled, so this also would not be causing the issue. Is there anything else you can think of that would be causing this? Can you have the distributor and subscriber on different domains, or is this what is causing the problem?
Go to Top of Page

afrika

2706 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-24 : 13:06:46
I thought it was IPaddress,portnumber ? rather than 10.200.233.31/ICTTCDEV
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -