Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Other SQL Server Topics (2005)
 Import from ODBC source

Author  Topic 

dmaxj
Posting Yak Master

174 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-23 : 16:34:03
I created a system data source to retrieve data from a Filemaker database. The data source shows up and works great when I use Microsoft Query. I am trying to use the same data source from the Import/Export Wizard in SSMS 2005, but the data source name does not show up in the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard dialog box.

Any clues?

Regards

dmaxj
Posting Yak Master

174 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-23 : 16:47:26
Sorry, I meant to say that I created a FILE data source - not a system data source...
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-23 : 16:56:01
Try creating System datasources and Can you tell us what are you trying to do?
Go to Top of Page

dmaxj
Posting Yak Master

174 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-23 : 17:11:44
I am trying to import records from a Filemaker database into a SQL Server database using the same file DSN that works for Microsoft Query. MS Query allows me to import the data into an excel spreadsheet, but I want to send the data directly to a SQL Server database...

Regards
Go to Top of Page

dmaxj
Posting Yak Master

174 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-29 : 16:00:25
So, it looks as if records cannot be imported from an ODBC source into a SQL Server 2005 using SSMS.

I am curious as to why my data source works for Microsoft Query and not SMSS...

Regards
Go to Top of Page

dmaxj
Posting Yak Master

174 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-01 : 12:35:25
For what it's worth, I found that SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio handles this task.

Quite a nice tool for handling multiple heterogeneous data sources.

Regards
Go to Top of Page

aaronm
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-12-03 : 14:32:46
How exactly did you use SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio to do this?

I'm a newbie to sql and am trying to import from a progress database 10.1B and I have the ODBC driver. In my odbc settings I have setup a system,user and file dsn for it I can use all of these to import with no problems to an Access DB but can't select them from SQL 2005 import/export wizard. Any help would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

dmaxj
Posting Yak Master

174 Posts

Posted - 2009-05-22 : 12:57:05
I made SYSTEM DSN's with the ODBC manager. I then added the SYSTEM DSN's via Server Explorer in Visual Studio (right click to Add a Connection). Next, right click on the new connection to perform NEW Query or you can just SHOW Table Data.

Go to Top of Page

fsiver
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2011-01-02 : 16:15:45
Thank you very much. I just needed to know how to do this and Google popped this up.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -