Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Restore duration

Author  Topic 

jwb
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-11-05 : 04:45:37
Hello,

We restored a MSSQL 2000 database, which is about 180 gb. We encountered different restore duration when we use different hardware. We wonder if the time it takes to restore is reasonable, or if there are issues with our environment.

Setup 1:
Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise
MSSQL 2000 SP3a
2x quad Intel 1.6 ghz proc
8 gb memory
Storage is in a SCSI bay with 14 disks on 1 channel, raid 5 and cache on the controller
The backup file and the target directory where to restore to is on the disk bay
Restore time took 6 hours

Setup 2:
Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise
MSSQL 2000 SP3a
1x quad Intel 2.5 ghz proc
10 gb memory
Storage is on two disk Raid 0 (SAS, controller has cache). (This is a test environment, so raid 0 is not an issue)
The backup file is on the network (1gbit) and the target directory is on the disks
Restore time took 5 hours and 20 minutes

Setup 3:
Windows 2000 SP4
MSSQL 2000 SP3a
2x Xeon 2.7 gh proc
4 gb memory
Storage is on SAN disks (EMC, FiberChannel disks)
The backup file is on a SAN disk and the directory is on another disk / LUN
Restore time took about 2 hours.

Because setup 1 uses 14 disks we hoped the restore time would faster than the six hours. Hope you can share some experience with me
If you want more information about our environment (which i can imagine, let me know).

Jeroen

DeepGround
Yak Posting Veteran

73 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-10 : 14:41:53
I think you answered your own question. The SAN is a faster array then your standard controller setup possibly because it has a more intelligent chipset in the built in controller. It also may require less resources from the OS, and the discs in the SAN could be higher RPM and/or higher throughput of data.

It takes me around 15 minutes to restore a 10GB database on a raid 5 SAS server. Never tried 180GB database.

(15x18)/60 = 4.5 hours
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -