Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Corrupted .mdf file, can I recover data from .ldf?

Author  Topic 

hiro_fairlane
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-19 : 15:13:33
Hi,

We'v had a physical failure in mdf file, and many data have been lost.

The last bacup we have is one month old.

The only "good?" new is that we have the transaction log intact.

Can anybody tell me if there is any way to recover the data using the one month old backup, and the transaction log data?

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-19 : 15:16:51
What recovery model are you using?

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

hiro_fairlane
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-19 : 15:42:00
Sorry, but I don't know what are you telling me!

I'm not a skilled SqlServer administrator. (I'm a web developer)

Please tell me what should I do, any help will be much appreciated!

I tryed buying one app, to recover de data from mdf file. "Stellar Phoenix SQL recovery", but it doesn't helped a lot. Many, many rows have been lost.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-19 : 16:04:32
Restore your last full backup, then check the recovery model by right clicking on it, properties, and then to options.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

hiro_fairlane
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-20 : 03:24:36
I've recovered the 1-month-old database, and it was ok, but we have lots of data since the last month that we need to recover.
Many transactions regarding with our customers as sales, quotes... are in about 8 well known tables.

(the database is from MS DYNAMICS CRM)

Can we in any way get the data from transaction log till the point of the mdf-disk failure?
Go to Top of Page

hiro_fairlane
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-20 : 04:07:32
Well, I yust have seen the point you are talking about regarding "recovery model"

I've just seen that recovery model is set to "completo". The SqlServer front end is in spanish, so it must be "complete" or "full".

The poin in wich the database is. Is in the one-month-old backuped copy, and MS Dinamics CRM is fully working with all the data stored one month ago.

Other point, is that the famous one-month-old backup was made with the windows backup app, and is a all-computer-backup so i've recovered the mdf and ldf files in a new HD and later excuted a "sp_attach_db".
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-20 : 09:48:40
See this:
Thats why you should backup strategy in place.
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112854
Go to Top of Page

hiro_fairlane
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-21 : 08:06:08
I see...
But there is a difference between both cases, I'd made a 16,7GB backup of my 16GB transaction log.

But when I try to restore the transaction log backup using:

RESTORE LOG testrestore
FROM disk='c:\test.bak'
WITH RECOVERY

I've get an error message, telling me that in the last restore NORECOVERY mode did not set, and I have to restart the restore sequence with NORECOVERY or STANDBY set for all the steps except the last one (more or less)

Did I need the database backup in which the last transaction log dup where made? (obviously we don't have it)

Or can I start from a database point in which the transaction log that I have was the one in use?
Go to Top of Page

hiro_fairlane
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-24 : 05:04:05
Finally think that i've found a way to recover the data (I would like to beliebe that).

I managed to do that by using a kind of this, pointing to a new .mfd .ldf file location:

RESTORE LOG testrestore
FROM disk='c:\test.bak'
WITH
MOVE 'Northwind_Data' TO 'c:\data\Northwind.mdf',
MOVE 'Northwind_Log' TO 'c:\data\Northwind _log.ldf',
RECOVERY

All this running over a restored 2 months old backup, restored using the "NORECOVERY" parameter.

I would like to beliebe that i'm doing progresses, the process is still running (at this moment is running for 21h). since the moment i've launched it, it have created a 16GB log file, but no .mdf is still created.

I've no idea if this will end with a usable copy, nor when will this fininsh. Becouse it is running over a IDE HDD attached after the data loose, so I suppose that it will fork much slower than in a SCSI HDD.

I have my fingers crossed, and I pray for it to work!
Go to Top of Page

chinny24
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-02-06 : 06:44:32
Can you please let me know what kind of problems you faced while using Stellar Phoenix SQL Recovery Software, so that I can contact with you again after solving this matter with our R&D department, I will discuss this matter with them. So that your problem can be resolve as soon as possible. As well as we provide MDF recovery and MDF repair services too. If you are still facing problems in your MDF file corruption let me Know.
Go to Top of Page

tech_tiger
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2009-08-15 : 14:47:41
quote:
Originally posted by hiro_fairlane

Hi,

We'v had a physical failure in mdf file, and many data have been lost.

The last bacup we have is one month old.

The only "good?" new is that we have the transaction log intact.

Can anybody tell me if there is any way to recover the data using the one month old backup, and the transaction log data?

hey

thers another software for SQL MDF recovery [url]http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/sql-recovery.html[/url]
Go to Top of Page

drdesouza
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-13 : 12:49:08
Hi all

If you are facing corruption problem in .mdf file and fresh backup is not available so, no need to worry about all this complexity because I have also use this significant SQL data recovery application and recover my entire database back in safe and sound condition. unspammed
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -