Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Incremental Backuo to FTP Location

Author  Topic 

michaelb
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-19 : 20:25:07
Hi,

We currently use Symantec Backup Exec to backup our SQL databases to disk and tape.

I am wanting to start backing up to an FTP location so we have another secure offsite option in the case of tape failure.

Symantec offer the Symantec Protection Network which is online storage for Backup Exec jobs, but its only available in USA/Canada and we are in Australia.

Does anyone know of any software that will allow us to perform incremental backups of our SQL databases to an FTP location? Or another way to make Backup Exec do this?

Thanks,
Michael

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-19 : 20:59:19
Why not just FTP the disc backup?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

michaelb
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-19 : 21:09:58
Because we have 2 databases that total around 30GB when compressed... to upload 30GB every night would cost a fortune in bandwidth and take forever.
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-20 : 16:23:33
Won't you still need to transfer that data whether it's to the FTP site or disc first?

Go to Top of Page

michaelb
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-20 : 16:44:05
We would need to upload the whole 30GB to the FTP site initially, but from then we would just want to upload the changes... hence the incremental backup.
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-20 : 17:37:32
Still don't understand.
How were you expecting to get the 30G file to the ftp site?
Once that's done then just take the differentials to disk then ftp them.

You would still have to transfer the full backup whenever you took one but unless you could use tr log backups I don't see any way round that.

Must admit I wouldn't have thought FTP would be a good solution for this but then I've never tried it with the sort of volumes you would get from backups even on small databases like yours.
Even if you did get this working I would be concerned about what happens when your throughput increases.

Have you thout about partitioning the database onto read only files? Could reduce the amount of data you have to transfer if you have old data that's static.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -