Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2008 Topics
 Installation error: '' is not a valid login or...

Author  Topic 

Apples
Posting Yak Master

146 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-21 : 12:38:07
I have tried installing SQL Server 2008 multiple times on my machine, and I always receive this error about 3/4 of the way through: '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission.

I have tried installing both SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools and SQL Server 2008 with Advanced Services, and they both fail the same way. I am trying to do a new stand-alone installation.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP3.

Looking into the error, some forums say I have to install it from THE Administrator account, and not an account with administrator permissions; it also cannot be in Safe Mode, because then the Windows Installer won't work. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to login to the Administrator account. I can go to the home login screen, do ctrl+alt+del twice, and attempt to login to the Administrator account, but I receive this error: Unable to Log You on because of an Account Restriction.

Other forums say that in the Server Configuration section, all you have to do is provide the username and a strong password from an administrative account on the computer, and it doesn't have to be THE Administrator. Well, I did that, but for some reason it doesn't recognize my username and password, it says something like "The credentials you provided for the SQL Server Agent are invalid". BUT THOSE ARE THE CORRECT CREDENTIALS FOR MY ADMINISTRATIVE USER! So I'm forced to use one of the accounts without a password, like NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. That's the only way I can get past this step.

Also, just FYI, on the next step, which is Database Engine Configuration, I am using Mixed Mode for the Security Mode. I AGAIN provide a password, and then add my current user (who IS an administrator on my machine!) to the SQL Server Administrators box.

But yet, it fails every single time.

This is pathetic and ridiculous. I must have tried to install this thing 15 times, that is not an exaggeration. I'm posting this on several other forums as well, maybe an MVP or Bill Gates himself can help me.

I have one of the log files from a failed installation. If someone would like to see it, I will post it.

Apples
Posting Yak Master

146 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-23 : 19:25:51
I haven't had any answers from any other forums, I'll just post my log file in case anyone wants to look at this:

quote:
Overall summary:
Final result: SQL Server installation failed. To continue, investigate the reason for the failure, correct the problem, uninstall SQL Server, and then rerun SQL Server Setup.
Exit code (Decimal): -2068643839
Exit facility code: 1203
Exit error code: 1
Exit message: SQL Server installation failed. To continue, investigate the reason for the failure, correct the problem, uninstall SQL Server, and then rerun SQL Server Setup.
Start time: 2008-11-17 11:13:47
End time: 2008-11-17 12:17:25
Requested action: Install
Log with failure: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\Detail.txt
Exception help link: http%3a%2f%2fgo.microsoft.com%2ffwlink%3fLinkId%3d20476%26ProdName%3dMicrosoft%2bSQL%2bServer%26EvtSrc%3dsetup.rll%26EvtID%3d50000%26ProdVer%3d10.0.1600.22%26EvtType%3d0xBE029E38%400x12C2466D

Machine Properties:
Machine name: STEVEN
Machine processor count: 2
OS version: Windows XP
OS service pack: Service Pack 3
OS region: United States
OS language: English (United States)
OS architecture: x86
Process architecture: 32 Bit
OS clustered: No

Product features discovered:
Product Instance Instance ID Feature Language Edition Version Clustered

Package properties:
Description: SQL Server Database Services 2008
SQLProductFamilyCode: {628F8F38-600E-493D-9946-F4178F20A8A9}
ProductName: SQL2008
Type: RTM
Version: 10
SPLevel: 0
Installation location: D:\x86\setup Installation edition: DEVELOPER

User Input Settings:
ACTION: Install
ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN: False
AGTSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
AGTSVCPASSWORD: *****
AGTSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Manual
ASBACKUPDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Backup
ASCOLLATION: Latin1_General_CI_AS
ASCONFIGDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Config
ASDATADIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data
ASDOMAINGROUP: <empty>
ASLOGDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Log
ASPROVIDERMSOLAP: 1
ASSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
ASSVCPASSWORD: *****
ASSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic
ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS: STEVEN\Steven
ASTEMPDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Temp
BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Disabled
CONFIGURATIONFILE: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\ConfigurationFile.ini
ENABLERANU: False
ERRORREPORTING: False
FEATURES: SQLENGINE,REPLICATION,FULLTEXT,AS,RS,BIDS,CONN,IS,BC,SDK,BOL,SSMS,ADV_SSMS,SNAC_SDK,OCS
FILESTREAMLEVEL: 0
FILESTREAMSHARENAME: <empty>
FTSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
FTSVCPASSWORD: *****
HELP: False
INDICATEPROGRESS: False
INSTALLSHAREDDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server INSTALLSQLDATADIR: <empty>
INSTANCEDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server INSTANCEID: MSSQLSERVER
INSTANCENAME: MSSQLSERVER
ISSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
ISSVCPASSWORD: *****
ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic
MEDIASOURCE: D: NPENABLED: 0
PID: *****
QUIET: False
QUIETSIMPLE: False
RSINSTALLMODE: DefaultNativeMode
RSSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
RSSVCPASSWORD: *****
RSSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic
SAPWD: *****
SECURITYMODE: SQL
SQLBACKUPDIR: <empty>
SQLCOLLATION: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
SQLSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
SQLSVCPASSWORD: *****
SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic
SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS: STEVEN\Steven
SQLTEMPDBDIR: <empty>
SQLTEMPDBLOGDIR: <empty>
SQLUSERDBDIR: <empty>
SQLUSERDBLOGDIR: <empty>
SQMREPORTING: False
TCPENABLED: 0
X86: False

Configuration file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:
Feature: Database Engine Services
MSI status: Passed
Configuration status: Failed: see details below
Configuration error code: 0x12C2466D
Configuration error description: '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission.
Configuration log: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\Detail.txt

Feature: SQL Client Connectivity SDK
Configuration status: Passed

Feature: SQL Server Replication
Configuration error description: '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission.
Configuration log: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\Detail.txt

Feature: Full-Text Search

Feature: Analysis Services

Feature: Reporting Services

Feature: Integration Services

Feature: Client Tools Connectivity

Feature: Management Tools - Complete

Feature: Management Tools - Basic

Feature: Client Tools SDK

Feature: Client Tools Backwards Compatibility

Feature: Business Intelligence Development Studio

Feature: SQL Server Books Online

Feature: Microsoft Sync Framework

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Scenario specific rules:

Rules report file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Go to Top of Page

Apples
Posting Yak Master

146 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-24 : 20:25:01
Can anyone help?
Go to Top of Page

Apples
Posting Yak Master

146 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-30 : 13:46:53
bump
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-30 : 13:55:30
You may want to consider contacting customer support with this problem. It will cost, but you should get the problem fixed pretty quickly
If no one's answering it means they don't know. Installation problems are an absolute pain to resolve.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

red3recon
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-29 : 16:17:27
I wish I could offer help, here is my version of the same problem...only I tried a workaround that failed....

I have a server (Windows 2003) that is limited by domain policy. I tried to install SQL 2008, but when it gets to the part where it is starting the service it craps out and says “Access Denied.” So I installed SQL 2005 without a glitch (using the exact service account) and it works flawlessly. So I tried to upgrade the SQL 2005 install to SQL 2008 and it again made it to the part where it tried to restart the service and it craps out saying something about poor server health and that the service could not be restarted. I can restart the service no problem with SQL 2005. I have looked everywhere trying to find an answer to this. The one “tidbit” I found was that you must use an account that has “Logon as a Service” permissions; however, that is disabled by group policy. Again, SQL 2005 works great using the same account…does SQL 2008 require more out of the service account than 2005? Any help, insight, or even general comments are appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -