Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 Witness problem - error 1456

Author  Topic 

wirtz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-27 : 05:28:36
Hello,

I have problems to add a witness to my mirroring session.

Principal and mirror are in one domain, witness is another domain. I figured out that I have to use certificates to do the mirroring session.

I followed the instructions on msdn... the mirroring itself (principal/mirror) works fine, but when I want to add the witness I get into trouble.

I did as the instructions on msdn said: configured the witness for in- and outgoing connections, imported certificates, added logins and users for principal/mirror on the witness and vice versa.

I have checked the ports via cmd -> "telnet xx.xx.xx.xx port" and there is no problem connecting on the port used for the endpoints in any direction.

But when I run transact sql on the principal to add the witness I always run into an error.

ALTER DATABASE db1066xxxxx SET WITNESS = 'TCP://88.xx.xx.xx:5022'

the error 1456 occurs:

The ALTER DATABASE command could not be sent to the remote server instance 'TCP://88.xx.xx.xx:5022'. The database mirroring configuration was not changed. Verify that the server is connected, and try again.

I can definitely connect to the server... telnet works fine and I can even load the witness in the management studio on the principal/mirror... so: what is really the problem?

I have already checked several forums and instructions on the internet, but couldn't find a solution... Thanks for your help.

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-27 : 10:03:35
http://developmentalmadness.blogspot.com/2006/07/adventures-in-mirroring.html
Go to Top of Page

wirtz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-27 : 11:30:59
Thanks for your response... after some time of struggle I finally managed to solve the problem... in the end it was a network issue.

There was an error showing up in sql server log, that was not there before. '...The specified network name is no longer available...'

I searched the internet for this error and found a suggestion to enter the IPs and FQDNs into windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on each machine.

And finally it worked :)
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-27 : 11:44:23
quote:
Originally posted by wirtz

Thanks for your response... after some time of struggle I finally managed to solve the problem... in the end it was a network issue.

There was an error showing up in sql server log, that was not there before. '...The specified network name is no longer available...'

I searched the internet for this error and found a suggestion to enter the IPs and FQDNs into windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on each machine.

And finally it worked :)

It is good to put Witness while setting up mirroring in first place. We have placed like this way and never had issue even domain name is different.
Go to Top of Page

Tallwood
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-05 : 15:05:58
the only problem you could run in to is if you change any IPs around, but with the domain names as well you should be ok, so long as you don't have a conflict if another machine takes over an old IP address.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -