Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 can we expect good time again to IT?

Author  Topic 

sunsanvin
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1274 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-03 : 00:11:34
Dear All,
can we expect good time again to IT? actually Obama is saying he is against to OUTSOURCING. if so, what about the depending countries like INDIA? just before 5 years, 200$ per month (Rs/-10,000) is a very good salary. but now, 1000$ per month is a common salary here in india. the people changed a lot in their living style.
if suddenly IT boom stopped completely, then what is the situation?
can we expect good days again?

Arnav
Even you learn 1%, Learn it with 100% confidence.

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-03 : 05:17:29
i would have to say yes but on a much smaller scale. you'll just have to get non dependant.
for example india now is like usa in the 1950 living standard wise. so you'll get there.
now i can't say that i'm an authority on indian culture but from what i know in general i think that the caste system gets a bit in your way of true progress for full population.
the IT outsourcing was the first such industry that could bridge that if you were good, but my guess is that this is only because of high demand.

i could be wrong of course

Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-03 : 07:55:53
People will adapt if the industry goes south. There's already been adjustment in India, there's been a lot of adjustment in the US. There will be more. Lean times are tough to live through but it can be done (shit, if I can do it it can't be that hard)

The real problem is people taking the boom times as the new standard, the new average, and not realizing that there's a cycle to these things. They spend everything and save nothing. Well, they'll learn in the next few years. I used to laugh at some of my mom's old, cheap habits (she grew up during the Great Depression). Now when I talk to her I make her laugh by doing some of the same things she does.

I wouldn't worry too much (that doesn't help anyway) but you can always start looking at other things that interest you and seeing if they can work as a sideline for you. My former boss left our company a few years back to concentrate on real estate (he's back in IT now, so maybe that's not a good example) But you'd be surprised what people can make money doing.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-03 : 14:28:25
I think there is already a trend to move US outsourcing from India to countries with even lower wages. I have been hearing talk of outsourcing IT work to the Philippines because of lower wages and an accent that is easier for Americans to understand.

Eventually, wages will tend to reach the same level worldwide, because every country has a limited supply of people willing and able to do IT work, and demand still seems to be rising.

I think outsourcing in the US will be driven by different factors as offshore wages rise. There are a lot of disadvantages in dealing with an offshore development team that is leaving at the end of the day just when you are getting up in the morning. It makes communication slow and hard to manage. However, the same people maybe in the perfect position to act as the overnight help desk and overnight technical support.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-03 : 15:12:36
quote:
Originally posted by sunsanvin

Dear All,
can we expect good time again to IT?

Absolutely! This Friday is bikini-day at the office! And its my turn to bring the Margaritas.

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-03 : 15:21:47
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones

However, the same people maybe in the perfect position to act as the overnight help desk and overnight technical support.
Isn't it ironic that the people we are outsourcing the development to, are the same people we help here over and over again?

E 12°55'05.63"
N 56°04'39.26"
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-03 : 15:34:57
quote:
Originally posted by blindman

Absolutely! This Friday is bikini-day at the office! And its my turn to bring the Margaritas.
Please post photos.
It must been a pain to shave your bikini line, wasn't it?

E 12°55'05.63"
N 56°04'39.26"
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-03 : 16:20:53
bikini-day?
Pah - that is not very interesting for blindman isn't it?
Edit: sorry Bruce - could not resist

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-03 : 16:35:06
quote:
Originally posted by Peso

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones

However, the same people maybe in the perfect position to act as the overnight help desk and overnight technical support.
Isn't it ironic that the people we are outsourcing the development to, are the same people we help here over and over again?

E 12°55'05.63"
N 56°04'39.26"

Yes I agree. People here are Saints of Lost outsourcing/insourcing yaks as well.
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-03 : 16:52:23
quote:
Originally posted by Peso

quote:
Originally posted by blindman

Please post photos.
It must been a pain to shave your bikini line, wasn't it?

Took three razors.

- Advertisement -