Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Other Forums
 Other Topics
 Excel analysis

Author  Topic 

mikebird
Aged Yak Warrior

529 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-11 : 10:35:46
Yes, yes, I know. I abhor Excel. I come here because I trust you lot and you'll have an answer.

I like data analysis.

I don't use Excel, but I filled up a "table" in there bit-by-bit with important data which has grown big. All I want to do is a dinstinct count of the entries of the leftmost column

1. cannot find a function to do that in Excel
2. if I export this table, or just the leftmost column to SQL Server as a .CSV and do the work in there, the text values have spaces between the words and aren't contained by quotes and can't figure how to make it like that (I used to have no problem in UNIX)

Please help

mikebird
Aged Yak Warrior

529 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-13 : 15:15:33
Done perfectly using Crystal Reports. Excel is crap
Go to Top of Page

timothymoses
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-28 : 23:13:46
I dont think so excel is very tough its very easy and interesting also...

www.ipodenergy.com/
Go to Top of Page

rohitkumar
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

472 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-14 : 15:25:59
I know its late but to do it in excel select the column, then
Data > Filter > Advanced Filter

give List Range as your source column
check Unique Records Only
give Copy To as a destination column

Press OK
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-14 : 15:45:58
If you try to hammer nails with a perfectly fine screwdriver, I suspect you will come to the conclusion that the screwdriver is crap and useless, right ?

Even so, Excel can easily do the 2 things you've described. First, learn about pivot tables. That will let you easily get the distinct list of values in a column for a date range.

Second, learn how to write Excel formulas. You can easily trim cells values and put quotes around them to handle the issue you describe, and then simply export the resulting formulas as needed. If not, a simple 10-line VBA script or macro should work for you as well, depending on how specific your data export needs to be.

- Jeff
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/JeffS
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -