Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2008 Topics
 Newb - how to restore .BAK file

Author  Topic 

Donquick
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-23 : 05:43:49
Hi All - just a quick one if i may.

I have no idea about SQL but i have a .bak file from somebody and need to restore it. I have downloaded and installed the 180 day trail version of SQL 2008 from the Microsoft site which took most of yesterday one way and another.

From previous reading i was under the impression that i needed to locate something called the Query Analyzer and issuse some restore command.

However, all i now have is an item on my start menu called Microsoft SQL server 2008 with sub menus called Config Tools, Documentation and Tutorials and a shortcut to Import and Export Data (32-bit). With the exception of the last all the other options are monitoring configuration and documentation. The last item will start but i don't know how to work it as it won't allow me to browse my system to locate the BAK file.

Have i downloaded the right software and how do i restore the file. Do i need to put it somewhere specific so that it appears within the Import & Export tool as an option.

Help ! please.

Thanks,

NeilG
Aged Yak Warrior

530 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-23 : 06:24:06
The Query analyser is from SQL Server 2000, this is not been changed for 2005 and 08 to the SQL Server Management Studio, did you install these components during your installation
Go to Top of Page

Donquick
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-23 : 08:36:26
Hi Neil,

Thanks that has done the trick. I have worked it out and done the restore from the query analyzer. Great stuff.

Out of interest, do you know how i now view my newly restored database. Is it also in 'server Management Studio' or another module

Thanks again,
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-23 : 10:23:07
Yes in Management studio.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -