Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Simple SQL SELECT Query question

Author  Topic 

wippard
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-12-25 : 14:05:27
Hello

I am a beginner when it comes to SQL so maybe I have a trivial question :)

I need to make a SQL SELECT query.

I have Lending table with columns: Lending_ID (integer) Primary Key, Person_ID(integer) Foreign Key, Lending_status_ID(integer).

A person can have many lendings. That means one Person_ID has zero or more lending_ID's and every Lending has Lending_status_ID from 1 to 4.

Person_ID comes from Persons table, but not every Person_ID in Persons table is in Lending table. Every person has a Person_status which is in Persons table.

My SELECT query should output Person_ID's from Persons table which have Person_status set to 'Active' or 'Nonactive' and then show how many lendings each person have with status '2' or '4'.

----------

SELECT Persons.Person_ID, Count(*) As Number
From Persons INNER JOIN Lending ON Persons.Person_ID=Lending.Person_ID
WHERE ((Persons.Person_status="active") OR (Persons.Person_status="nonactive"))
GROUP BY Persons.Person_ID

-------

Currently this counts every lending, but it needs to shows nonactive or active persons and how many lendings they have with status 2 or 4.

Thank you

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-25 : 14:55:43
quote:
Originally posted by wippard

Hello

I am a beginner when it comes to SQL so maybe I have a trivial question :)

I need to make a SQL SELECT query.

I have Lending table with columns: Lending_ID (integer) Primary Key, Person_ID(integer) Foreign Key, Lending_status_ID(integer).

A person can have many lendings. That means one Person_ID has zero or more lending_ID's and every Lending has Lending_status_ID from 1 to 4.

Person_ID comes from Persons table, but not every Person_ID in Persons table is in Lending table. Every person has a Person_status which is in Persons table.

My SELECT query should output Person_ID's from Persons table which have Person_status set to 'Active' or 'Nonactive' and then show how many lendings each person have with status '2' or '4'.

----------

SELECT Persons.Person_ID, Count(Lending.Person_ID) As LendingNumber
From Persons INNER JOIN Lending ON Persons.Person_ID=Lending.Person_ID
WHERE ((Persons.Person_status="active") OR (Persons.Person_status="nonactive"))
and Lending.Lending_status_ID in(2,4)
GROUP BY Persons.Person_ID

-------

Currently this counts every lending, but it needs to shows nonactive or active persons and how many lendings they have with status 2 or 4.

Thank you

Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2008-12-27 : 11:39:20
[code]
SELECT p.Person_ID, Count(l.Lending_ID) As Number
From Persons p
LEFT JOIN Lending l
ON p.Person_ID=l.Person_ID
AND (p.Person_status='active'
OR p.Person_status='nonactive')
AND (l.Lending_status=2 OR l.Lending_status=4)
GROUP BY p.Person_ID
[/code]
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -