Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 Log Shipping Reconfiguration

Author  Topic 

skyw
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-02 : 04:11:05
Hi,

I am trying to change the configuration settings, that is,

Delete Older Files after
Delete Copied Files after

settings for my Log Shipping configuration.
It gives the Error message.

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------

An entry for primary server (ServerName), primary database (DBname) does not exist on this secondary. Register the primary first. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 32023)

Please tell if to change configuration I need to Reconfigure by clearing the checkbox
"Enable this as a primary database in a log shipping configuration "

Thanks

skyw
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-02 : 05:44:11
Actually I was able to change the Primary Job setting but it gives error while trying to change the secondary Job setting --
Delete Copied Files after
TIA
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-02 : 08:06:53
Your question is not clear. Where did you change configuration settings? Please Elaborate.
Go to Top of Page

skyw
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-02 : 08:39:46
quote:
Originally posted by sodeep

Your question is not clear. Where did you change configuration settings? Please Elaborate.

Sure.

For Primary Server ---
I right-clicked the database.Inside Tasks, I clicked Ship Transaction Logs...
In the window that appears I clicked Backup Settings... Button and inside that I changed the Delete Files Older Than.. Setting.

For Secondary Server ---
Inside the Secondary Server Instances List of Ship Transaction Logs...window I clicked the ellipsis Symbol to get to the properties. Inside the Window I tried to change the setting Delete Copied Files after..

I was able to change this setting for some databases but not for all databases.
For those databases for which I was unable to change the settings it gave the error message -

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------

An entry for primary server (ServerName), primary database (DBname) does not exist on this secondary. Register the primary first. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 32023)

Any clue on why the outcome should depend on the DB on hand is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-02 : 12:13:04
Do those databases exists in primary server for which you got error?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-02 : 12:13:04
You need to rebuild log shipping for those you are getting errors.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

skyw
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-03 : 10:59:23
Luckily I found the fix for this one.

While configuring the Log Shipping for the first time MSSQL records the Primay Server as either the NAME of the server or the IP of the server.
It records this information inside msdb. It is also reflected in the name of the Job created, which is one of the two below-
LS_<IPaddress>_<db>
LS_<Name>_<db>

In my case, I was connected to the server using the IP for some of the databases and using the NAME for the other ones.

While modifying configuration, the connection to the primary should be made using the same way as was done at the time of initial LS configuration.

I reconnected to the server after changing the IP to the Name of the SQL Server and it allowed modification of configuration for the remaining databases also.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -