Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 stored procedure decryption

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-01 : 23:27:07
jason writes "how can i decrypte stored procedure in sql2000?thank u!"

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-01 : 23:34:24
Hi

Basically, you can't.
You should make sure you don't get into this predicament in the first place. Keep you script files, preferably in Source Control to make sure you always have them.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

JustinBigelow
SQL Gigolo

1157 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-02 : 15:49:28
quote:

You should make sure you don't get into this predicament in the first place. Keep you script files, preferably in Source Control to make sure you always have them.

Yes mom

Justin

Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-03 : 12:38:29
Let's see if I can pour a little gasoline on the fire here... I have read rumors of decryption procedures. There is one guy in particular that has claimed this in articles he has written, but I won't mention his name or website at this point (no need to advertise for him), that he has decryption procedures for SQL 6.5, 7.0, and 2000. Does anybody have any insight on these? Is this guy for real?

--------------------------------------------------------------
1000 Posts, Here I come! I wonder what my new title will be...
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-03 : 13:20:20
I did try a decryption thing for a SQL 6.5 sproc a while back, and it worked fine. Can't find it now of course...could be the same guy you're talking about Mark.

There is a (sub-)culture on the web that cracks commercial encryption methods. (they've been damn helpful too when those pesky Excel or Word documents are locked!) It's fair to say that pretty much any commercial encryption scheme can be cracked if you know what you're doing; I'm sure there's a few NSA employees out there with nothing better to do I'm glad you didn't post the link Mark, it'll just cause more problems that it will solve.

For anyone else out there, follow Merkin's advice: if you need to secure your source code, use Source Safe or a similar package, keep ALL of your source code in script files in unencrypted form, and last but not least:

<rant>
Don't go crying that you "accidentally" encrypted a sproc and now need to decrypt it! BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you NEED encryption and that you have a plaintext copy BEFORE you encrypt anything.
</rant>

Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-03 : 19:04:49
Thanks Rob. I guess I really knew that because I have often told people that ANY security system that one person can create, another person can break. I just didn't know how prevalent this decryption capability might be, being that I don't wander off the SQLTeam website much.

I almost did post it, but then my better senses kicked in and said "Why do I want to open that hornet's nest?". Agree with your rant Rob. Whenever I see a question like, "How can I see the password..." or "How can I decrypt..." it just sounds like somebody new trying to poke around a system where they aren't welcome. I'm glad SQLTeam is not a hacker/cracker-oriented site.

Now everyone repeat after me (us)... Scripts are your FRIEND!

--------------------------------------------------------------
1000 Posts, Here I come! I wonder what my new title will be...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -