Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2005)
 Top 10 (Sorting in a Chart)

Author  Topic 

ZMike
Posting Yak Master

110 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-20 : 13:27:29
Hopefully this comes across the correct way.

I'm trying to take our top 10 employees in a chart that would have a sum on sales.

Is there a way without writing a seperate query to sort by the top 10 sales desc in Reporting Services ?

I was thinking that it could be done by either the data tab on the chart, by going to values or by going to filters. However anytime that I type TOP it says unrecognized identifier.

ZMike
Posting Yak Master

110 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-20 : 14:37:44
Well I'd still be curious to know for future reference but for now I went ahead and made another data set to tie into.
Go to Top of Page

revelator
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-21 : 06:24:54
I thought this was quite an interesting question, so I've have a go at it this morning, and think I have a solution.

The problem I found when using a filter in the Chart Properties was that aggregates are not allowed in filters at that level. Also, filters cannot be added into the Series Properties for the data fields.

What I did was create a filter on the Category Group Properties in the category field. I set the expression to be the same as the data field (eg Sum(Fields!SalesAmount.Value)). Then set the Operator to "Top N" and set the Value to be a parameter I was using called @TopN. You could also set this to be =10 though. This gave me the results you were looking for, and changing the TopN parameter confirmed this.

I'll look into this in a bit more depth and hopefully get a blog post up about it soon.

Note I've only tested this on SSRS 2008.

-----------------------------------
Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards
Go to Top of Page

revelator
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-21 : 06:33:08
Forgot to mention, using the same expression in the Sorting tab will allow you to sort the data descending if you choose Order...Z to A.

Go to Top of Page

revelator
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-21 : 09:55:11
Blogged: [url]http://sqlserver.posterous.com/ssrs-2008-using-the-top-filter[/url]

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -