Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Auto-Inserts

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-04 : 09:25:00
Brian submitted "Auto-Inserts™ creates insert scripts from any Microsoft® SQL Server© 7 or 2000 database that can be archived, emailed, checked into source control, run against another database etc. Auto-Inserts™ handles Identity fields and can auto-sequence the scripting order of tables to avoid referential integrity violations even when re-loading an entire database."

Article Link.

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-04 : 20:01:46
Okay, I'm looking for some feedback here. Somebody broaden my horizons... I've seen this app before, and some others just like it, and I don't get it. Maybe it's just the type of work I'm doing, but WHY would you want to do this? And WHY on a regular basis? It seems to me that DTS, BCP, BULK INSERT, BACKUP/RESTORE, or even sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db would be sufficient if not better. What am I missing?

--------------------------------------------------------------
1000 Posts, Here I come! I wonder what my new title will be...
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-04 : 23:00:31
I wrote something similar to this and I use it all the time.

The thing I work on the most is a product my company sells. We need to install this often for clients, I use scripts to create my databases.

In this app, we have tables with lots of configuration stuff, status codes and the like.

I use EM to script my tables, all my stored procs are already in script files, but I still have a bunch of data that needs re-creating. So, I wrote a tool that generates all the insert statements for selected tables and I save this file in source control as well. When I need to make a fresh install, I can grab all the files and recreate the database very quickly.

Hope that all makes sense...I'm a little scattered this morning

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-05 : 04:05:00
I created a similar but smaller one, but it was for auto generationof test data, mine was for testing.

I Agree with AjarnMark, there are lot of inbuilt ways with sql server you can do the same.

Another thing , Might be some tables have triggers which Adds or updates or deletes records in another tables. now when am running a tool like this ,i have to take care of my triggers too. Isnt that a additional overhead , apart from that you have to pay for this.

----------------------------
Anything that Doesn't Kills you Makes you Stronger
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-05 : 05:59:27
quote:

I Agree with AjarnMark, there are lot of inbuilt ways with sql server you can do the same.

Being able to click on a table name and have an entire table's worth of insert statements pasted directly into your editor instantly is a damn sight more convenient that BCPing or DTSing data in and out of some flat files.

Mine is a lot simpler than Auto-Inserts but it does the job I need it to, that being said, Auto-Inserts looks like a cool product to me.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-05 : 07:53:19
Merkin ,so much for $219!!!.

Good Marketing carry on Merkin

"Marketing is selling Combs, to Bald Persons"

Edited by - Nazim on 01/05/2002 23:39:43
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-05 : 21:34:37
Thanks, Merkin. That makes sense to me. I don't have to do much in the way of setting up look-alike databases in my work, so I don't have as much need for this sort of thing. But scripts are definitely the way to go for setting things up!

--------------------------------------------------------------
1000 Posts, Here I come! I wonder what my new title will be...
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-05 : 23:58:03

I Give up, Am not able to know its worth might be coz i havent done anything that required this kinda stuff. i would have appreciated this product if it had a option to generate Test data(though thts a different thing).

But am still sceptical about handling of triggers when you do this inserts.

Btw is there a similar product for generating test data ?.

Merkin it was light hearted one, No Offence Meant.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -