Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Can't connect remotely to SQL 2005

Author  Topic 

Madenio
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-07 : 10:14:36
Hi

I am running SQL 2005 Standard edition under Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Everything, that I need runs just fine from local LAN clients. The problem is, that I can't connect to the SQL server from remote places using Server Management studio. Everytime I try to connect, the connection ends up in error message:

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to 213.160.163.140.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=53&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I have google searched this problem and tried all user recommendations I've found.

- I have correctly forwarded ports on my router (e.g. I can access the remote desktop from remote places without problem)

- The Windows firewall is well configured, I have added ports 1433, 1434 and I've tried it even with windows firewall turned off.

- I have enabled all protocols needed and revised all setting concerning remote connections within configuration manager and surface configuration

Nothing has helped.

Please guys if you have any recommendations for me, please post them here. Any kind of help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Martin

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-07 : 10:43:08
Try to telnet to the database server:

Start..Run..cmd..telnet ServerName PortNumber

If you get a blank screen, then you are good. If you get an error, then you've got a network/config issue.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

Madenio
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-07 : 11:01:16
Thank you for your prompt reply.

Checking things through telnet connection was one of the first things I've tried.
Of course it says, that "Could not open connection to the host, on port 1433: Connect failed"
However the firewall settings should be OK, I've checked them for many times. However, is there some log to check, whether the connections are incomming through firewall?

Isn't there something, that is needed to set directly in Windows? I see, that the SQL server service is running as Local System and I can't change it to Network Service, isn't that a problem?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-07 : 11:08:45
If telnet doesn't work, then you've got a network issue, most likely having to do with your firewall or router.

You can connect remotely even if the SQL Server service is using Local System.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-07 : 12:37:06
Are you connecting to the right port?
Have you got the firewall configured to allow a connection to the sql server via the correct port?

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.ITjobfeed.com
Go to Top of Page

tonymorell10
Yak Posting Veteran

90 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-08 : 04:40:04
One thing to check - Make sure TCPIP is enabled for SQL Server.

Run the SQL Server Configuration Manager (Start->Programs->Microsoft SQL Server 2005->Configuration Tools->SQL Server Configuration Manager)
- Expand SQL Server Network Configuration
- Click on Protocols for MSSQLSERVER
- TCP/IP should be enabled. If not, double-click on TCP/IP and enable it. You will have to restart the SQL Server service before the setting takes affect.
Go to Top of Page

jason.williams14
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-09 : 20:30:26
on the server running SQL Server, can you go to the command prompt and type:

netstat -an

Look for TCP port 1433
Also, look for UDP port 1434.

Are you running multiple instances on these server? SQL Browser will help if so, using port 1434.

HTH,

Jason
Go to Top of Page

Madenio
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-10 : 03:37:32
Thank you all for your recommendations.

I've double checked all these settings and nothing worked for me. Then I've started to play with network monitoring and set up little utility, which can listen on specified port + I've been monitoring the whole tcp/ip connection with Wireshark software.

The problem is, that the port 1433 is somehow blocked on the machine. I have added ports 1433,1434 both tcp and udp to windows firewall and added both sql server and sql browser .exe files to firewall, but nothing.

I really believe, that it's something with some Small business server service, like Sharepoint or something like that, because these services are running their own SQL desktop engine and can't be removed. I believe, that this service is blocking the 1433 port.

The SQL server is working just fine remotely at another port. But 1433 is still blocked. Weird.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-10 : 11:08:29
Use a different port then for SQL Server. You can change what port it'll listen on in SQL Server Configuration Manager. We never use 1433 since our apps are used by external customers.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -