Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Help Understanding MAXDOP

Author  Topic 

DBADave
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

366 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-11 : 12:46:23
When setting MAXDOP at the server level what does this actually mean? I always thought it gave you the ability to restrict the number of processors any one SQL process can use so for example if you have an 8 proc server and set MAXDOP to 5, no process could use more then 5 CPUs at a time. However, I was told yesterday it does not limit the number of CPUs available to a process, but it restricts process threads. But aren't they the same thing? I know there are sub-threads that you can see by looking at the ecid column in sysprocesses, so is that what you are really restricting when using MAXDOP or are you restricting the number of procs?

Thanks, Dave

saurabhsrivastava
Posting Yak Master

216 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-11 : 22:41:36
MAXDOP is Max degree of parallelism, you cannot restrict the number of processors. I think Booksonline has very good explanation of MAXDOP.
Go to Top of Page

DBADave

366 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-12 : 01:38:18
BOL's expalanation is what caused me to believe the number of processors can be restricted.

2-64 Limits the number of processors to the specified value. Fewer processors may be used depending on the current workload. If a value larger than the number of available CPUs is specified, the actual number of available CPUs is used.

and

Computers that have multiple microprocessors or CPUs can execute one thread per CPU at the same time. For example, if a computer has eight CPUs, it can execute eight threads at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-12 : 07:03:27
quote:
Originally posted by saurabhsrivastava

MAXDOP is Max degree of parallelism, you cannot restrict the number of processors. I think Booksonline has very good explanation of MAXDOP.

Correct. It has to do with Affinity Mask Configuration.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-12 : 16:04:07
MAXDOP does restrict the number of processors, but it is at the query level and not at the SQL Server process level.

From BOL:

quote:

When SQL Server 2005 runs on a computer with more than one microprocessor or CPU, it detects the best degree of parallelism, that is, the number of processors employed to run a single statement, for each parallel plan execution. You can use the max degree of parallelism option to limit the number of processors to use in parallel plan execution. The default value of 0 uses all available processors. Set max degree of parallelism to 1 to suppress parallel plan generation. Set the value to a number greater than 1 (up to a maximum of 64) to restrict the maximum number of processors used by a single query execution. If a value greater than the number of available processors is specified, the actual number of available processors is used. If the computer has only one processor, the max degree of parallelism value is ignored.

Also check out this article on what value to set it to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;329204

We just moved to a 4 quad-core CPU system and are seeing very high CPU utilization. We are going to change the value to 8 per the article since the OS sees 16 CPUs.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-12 : 16:07:15
Cross post

http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-sql-server/1638197-help-understanding-maxdop-setting.html
Go to Top of Page

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-12 : 16:09:18
quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

MAXDOP does restrict the number of processors, but it is at the query level and not at the SQL Server process level.

From BOL:

quote:

When SQL Server 2005 runs on a computer with more than one microprocessor or CPU, it detects the best degree of parallelism, that is, the number of processors employed to run a single statement, for each parallel plan execution. You can use the max degree of parallelism option to limit the number of processors to use in parallel plan execution. The default value of 0 uses all available processors. Set max degree of parallelism to 1 to suppress parallel plan generation. Set the value to a number greater than 1 (up to a maximum of 64) to restrict the maximum number of processors used by a single query execution. If a value greater than the number of available processors is specified, the actual number of available processors is used. If the computer has only one processor, the max degree of parallelism value is ignored.

Also check out this article on what value to set it to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;329204

We just moved to a 4 quad-core CPU system and are seeing very high CPU utilization. We are going to change the value to 8 per the article since the OS sees 16 CPUs.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog

I guess OP is looking at Server Level.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-12 : 16:28:14
I believe OP is asking about the server-wide configuration that you do inside sp_configure with "max degree of parallelism".

DBADave, please clarify this for us.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

DBADave

366 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-13 : 18:49:45
I'm referring to the server-wide setting. Nice link Tara. It was helpful. Do the recommendations for an optimal MAXDOP setting pertain to total physical processors or do you also factor in the cores. For example, if I have a 2 CPU quad-core server is the Microsoft recommendation to set MAXDOP to 2 or to 8?

I'll Google for an answer, but thought I would check with you also.

In regards to the cross post MC what wrong with that? I cross post all of the time because each forum has a different group of members, with some overlap, and it is a good way to get a variety of opinions and facts on a topic.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-13 : 18:58:37
I got the link from a Microsoft engineer just this week. It's a coincidence that I also was wondering about the MAXDOP setting, so I was inquiring through our "dedicated support engineer".

It is my understanding that it pertains to the cores as that's how many processors SQL Server can see. The only exception would be a hyper-threaded system:
quote:

For servers that have hyper-threading enabled, the MAXDOP value should not exceed the number of physical processors.

Hyper-threaded systems aren't as common anymore.

There is no problem with cross-posting to other sites, but it would be very helpful if you could show us the cross-posts by posting the links for them. That way we can see if something has already been discussed and not have to waste our time typing the same answer out.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

saurabhsrivastava
Posting Yak Master

216 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-14 : 23:04:02
quote:

From BOL:

quote:

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog

I never recommend changing MAXDOP at server level at first place, it affects the whole system. If server is dedicated to run SQL Server WHY should one restrict the processor or force queries to tun on certain number of processors. Recommendations:
1) Find out the queries benefit from Parallelism and set MAXDOP at query level. Changing MAXDOP at server level will be applicalbe to all queries whereas all queries/operation may not benefit from that change.
2) In case of IO bound operations I would allocate 4-8 processors for IO operation based on tetsing and try to find out optimal number for my system.
3)I would never change system advanced settings based on articles; these are generic articles, not focused on specific error/warning messages. Moving to 4-quad core system caused high CPU utilization may be due to some other reason.
How many CPU's system had previously?
What was the CPU utilization?
What was the speed of those processor, L1, L2 cache etc.?
HBA card specification?
Batch request/sec on older system?
Batch request/sec on new system?
TPC.org rating for both old and new processors

Go to Top of Page

saurabhsrivastava
Posting Yak Master

216 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-14 : 23:20:37
Forgot to add to above post:
It is not necessary that MAXDOP is always effective. For Example if you set maxdop to 8 and enough resources (Memory, IO, CPU) are not available on the server in that scenario your query may execute serially or use lesser number of processors, no matter what MAXDOP setting is.

Regarding HYPERTHREADED system: Itanium system which are considered as a high end servers(processor code name Montavale) are still HYPERTHREAD capable, some customers use it some don't based on testing. Most of the time HYPERTHREADING degrades performance, not always. And I would say 20%-25% customers are getting benefits of HYPERTHREAD processors, again testing decides which side of fence one falls.
Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-17 : 11:49:35
Nothing is wrong with it. The members may want to see what other answers you are getting.
Go to Top of Page

vivienxing
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-28 : 12:03:46
quote:

Tara, Can you please explain further what does "SQL Server Process" mean here? Or any resources can help to better understand the above quote? Is "checkpoint", "backup" or "reindex" SQL Server process or not?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-01 : 01:06:06
By SQL Server process, I mean the executable that runs the database engine, sqlservr.exe.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -