Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Poll Discussion
 Poll: Are you attending the PASS conference

Author  Topic 

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-14 : 14:20:18
This thread goes with this poll (http://www.sqlteam.com/PollResults.asp?PollID=133). I'm curious if anyone is planning to attend the PASS conference in Denver.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.

Mojo
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-14 : 14:40:38
I could not find the option for:

[list]
  • What is the PASS conference?
  • list]

I will hold off on my vote...

Joe

Go to Top of Page

graz
    Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-14 : 15:30:27
    Good point! This link (http://www.sqlpass.org/events/denverjan/index.cfm) should help.

I'm going to be there and I was curious if other SQLTeam readers were also. Maybe we can all pick place to meet or something.

===============================================
    Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
    One crisis at a time.
    Go to Top of Page

JamesH
    Posting Yak Master

149 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-16 : 12:35:32
    Not going this year, It was pretty lame last year in San. Fran. and seemed to be geared more for the beginner. I was expecting to find a lot of experience and was really disappointed. Many of the speakers that were on hand seemed to only understand the technology inside of their presentation. For Example, there were a couple of 'girls' holding a fairly large presentation on DTS and how to use the new tools in SQL2000. When asked about specifics they both seemed to get really pissed that anybody would dare question them and they couldn't even give basic answers. It seemed that a lot of the speakers were 'talking heads' or trainers that basically formatted their presentations around a book they read and had no 'real' experience. I found this in many, but not all, of the seminars. Even SQLServer Magazine has become basic.

JMHO,

JamesH.

Go to Top of Page

Merkin
    Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-16 : 17:38:14
    quote:

Even SQLServer Magazine has become basic.

Enter SQLTeam. YAY!

Damian
    Go to Top of Page

nlocklin
    Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-17 : 20:01:19
    quote:
    It seemed that a lot of the speakers were 'talking heads' or trainers that basically formatted their presentations around a book they read and had no 'real' experience.

In fact, I'd go a step further and say that a lot of conferences centered around Microsoft products (not necessarily ones put on by Microsoft) are nothing more than big commercials that also happen to be in very nice resort destinations (ie a paid vacation). Don't know if that's the case with PASS, but that's been my experience with other conferences.

--
    "I'm always doing that. I'm always messing up some mundane detail."
    Go to Top of Page

allyanne
    Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-22 : 10:20:42
    quote:
    It was pretty lame last year in San. Fran. and seemed to be geared more for the beginner. I was expecting to find a lot of experience and was really disappointed.

Interesting comments... I was intrigued by the list of talks, but now it sounds like it'd be as disappointing as a Microsoft Dev Days conference.

Two reasons I didn't go:
    --My company is counting the pennies
    --Don't have the money myself

In this economic climate, which companies are going to foot the bill for an expensive conference? If they do, I'd bet that upper-level management would get to go, not those of us in the trenches. Maybe that's why the talks were so basic.
    Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -