Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2005)
 Scope Parameters?

Author  Topic 

CoachBarker
Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-25 : 14:55:56
quote:
The Value expression for the textbox ‘tbxLoadPounds’ has a scope parameter that is not valid for an aggregate function. The scope parameter must be set to a string constant that is equal to either the name of a containing group, the name of a containing data region, or the name of a data set.

How do you go about getting the results of an aggravating function that is one grouping up or down from where you need the information.

In this order I have:
1.Table Properties
table1
2.Groups
CustomerBillTo
CustomerDeliverTo
PickupDate
3.Detail
TicketNumber

I have a SUM in PickupDate that I need to access from CustomerDeliverTo, can I do that?

=SUM(Fields!LoadPound.Value,"CustomerDeliverTo", is there anything I can add here?to get what I need?)

Thanks for the help
CoachBarker

Cody
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 2009-02-25 : 20:42:11
You don't need the 3rd field, but I think you know that.

I've had some success using that SUM(Fields, GroupName) in my reports, but I don't remember if they are parents or children, and I'm not sure if it matters.

If this is a child group, try putting in a parent group name just to see if it compiles. If it does then either the group name is misspelt or child groups can't be used ... I didn't see anything in the docs about not being able to do child groups ...

Looking over this might help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb630415.aspx
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-02 : 13:06:21
quote:
Originally posted by CoachBarker

quote:
The Value expression for the textbox ‘tbxLoadPounds’ has a scope parameter that is not valid for an aggregate function. The scope parameter must be set to a string constant that is equal to either the name of a containing group, the name of a containing data region, or the name of a data set.

How do you go about getting the results of an aggravating function that is one grouping up or down from where you need the information.

In this order I have:
1.Table Properties
table1
2.Groups
CustomerBillTo
CustomerDeliverTo
PickupDate
3.Detail
TicketNumber

I have a SUM in PickupDate that I need to access from CustomerDeliverTo, can I do that?

=SUM(Fields!LoadPound.Value,"CustomerDeliverTo", is there anything I can add here?to get what I need?)

Thanks for the help
CoachBarker

your CustomerDeliverTo & PickupDate seems to be at same grouping level. then whats the need of using scope here?
Go to Top of Page

CoachBarker
Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-02 : 15:58:40
Sorry for the confusion, PickupDate is GROUP inside of CustomerDeliverTo. The problem is like this post here:

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119643

where LoadPounds is the SUM of PickupPounds. Right now I am using this query, in this example I want the sum of one of each, one 40575,one 12952, and one 61867

Load Pounds

LoadPounds

SELECT detail_record.ticket_number AS TicketNumber, cmDelvTo.customer_number AS DeliverToNumber, cmDelvTo.customer_name AS DeliverToName,
cmDelvTo.city AS DeliverToCity, cmBillTo.customer_number AS BillToNumber, cmBillTo.customer_name AS BillToName, cmBillTo.city AS BillToCIty,
CAST(detail_record.pickup_dt AS datetime) AS PickupDate, CAST(detail_record.deliver_dt AS datetime) AS DeliverDate,
SUM(detail_record.pickup_weight) AS PickupPounds, detail_record.hauler_number AS HaulerNumber, SUM(DISTINCT detail_record.ddp_weight)
AS LoadPounds, detail_record.deliver_date, detail_record.division AS Division
FROM detail_record INNER JOIN
customer_master AS cmBillTo ON detail_record.customer_bill_to = cmBillTo.customer_number INNER JOIN
customer_master AS cmDelvTo ON detail_record.customer_delv_to = cmDelvTo.customer_number
WHERE (detail_record.pickup_date BETWEEN @start_date AND @end_date) AND (detail_record.customer_delv_to = @customer_number) OR
(detail_record.pickup_date BETWEEN @start_date AND @end_date) AND (detail_record.customer_bill_to = @customer_number)
GROUP BY cmBillTo.customer_number, cmBillTo.customer_name, cmBillTo.city, cmDelvTo.customer_number, cmDelvTo.customer_name, cmDelvTo.city,
detail_record.pickup_dt, detail_record.ticket_number, detail_record.deliver_dt, detail_record.hauler_number, detail_record.deliver_date,
detail_record.pickup_date, detail_record.division
ORDER BY detail_record.pickup_date

I would like do do away with the grouping in the query and do it in the report, the PickupPOunds is easy enough, but the Load Pounds is driving me nutz.

Thanks for the help
CoachBarker
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-03 : 11:00:32
for that you need to use a case expression like

=SUM(IIF(RowNumber("GroupName")=1 ,Fields!LoadPounds.Name,0))
Go to Top of Page

CoachBarker
Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-03 : 12:17:57
I've found that if I do the grouping for the report in the query, I can not get the Order By correct in the report. My original query was like this:

SELECT detail_record.ticket_number AS TicketNumber, cmDelvTo.customer_number AS DeliverToNumber, cmDelvTo.customer_name AS DeliverToName,
cmDelvTo.city AS DeliverToCity, cmBillTo.customer_number AS BillToNumber, cmBillTo.customer_name AS BillToName, cmBillTo.city AS BillToCIty,
CAST(detail_record.pickup_dt AS datetime) AS PickupDate, CAST(detail_record.deliver_dt AS datetime) AS DeliverDate, detail_record.pickup_weight AS PickupWeight,
detail_record.hauler_number AS Hauler, detail_record.ddp_weight AS LoadPounds

FROM detail_record INNER JOIN customer_master AS cmBillTo ON detail_record.customer_bill_to = cmBillTo.customer_number INNER JOIN
customer_master AS cmDelvTo ON detail_record.customer_delv_to cmDelvTo.customer_number

WHERE (detail_record.pickup_date BETWEEN @start_date AND @end_date) AND (detail_record.customer_delv_to = @customer_number)
OR (detail_record.pickup_date BETWEEN @start_date AND @end_date) AND (detail_record.customer_bill_to = @customer_number)

Order By TicketNumber

I can do all I want except for getting the SUM of the LoadPounds to calculate correctly.

If I use this query:

CAST(detail_record.pickup_dt AS datetime) AS PickupDate, CAST(detail_record.deliver_dt AS datetime) AS DeliverDate,
detail_record.pickup_weight AS PickupPounds, detail_record.hauler_number AS HaulerNumber, SUM(DISTINCT detail_record.ddp_weight)
AS LoadPounds, detail_record.deliver_date, detail_record.division AS Division
customer_master AS cmBillTo ON detail_record.customer_bill_to = cmBillTo.customer_number INNER JOIN
customer_master AS cmDelvTo ON detail_record.customer_delv_to = cmDelvTo.customer_number
WHERE (detail_record.pickup_date BETWEEN @start_date AND @end_date) AND (detail_record.customer_delv_to = @customer_number) OR
(detail_record.pickup_date BETWEEN @start_date AND @end_date) AND (detail_record.customer_bill_to = @customer_number)
GROUP BY cmBillTo.customer_number, cmBillTo.customer_name, cmBillTo.city, cmDelvTo.customer_number, cmDelvTo.customer_name, cmDelvTo.city,
detail_record.pickup_dt, detail_record.ticket_number, detail_record.deliver_dt, detail_record.hauler_number, detail_record.deliver_date,
detail_record.pickup_date, detail_record.division, detail_record.pickup_weight

I get the correct LoadPounds but I can not get the Order By in the report right, even after checking all the correct settings in the properties.

There are 2 versions of each report I am creating, one Ordered By TicketNumber the other by PickupDate.

Thanks for the help
CoachBarker
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-03 : 12:21:13
try replacing ORDER BY detail_record.pickup_date
by

ORDER BY CAST(detail_record.pickup_dt AS datetime)
Go to Top of Page

CoachBarker
Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-03 : 12:58:28
It is not the date order by but the ticketNumber that won't work

Thanks for the help
CoachBarker
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-03 : 13:15:41
why? whats the datatype of ticketNumber ?
Go to Top of Page

CoachBarker
Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-03 : 13:39:07
TicketNumber varchar(10)

Is there no way, to use this query and modify it

detail_record.pickup_weight AS PickupPounds, detail_record.hauler_number AS HaulerNumber, detail_record.ddp_weight AS LoadPounds

and get the SUM of LoadPounds without having to use grouping in the query. For PickupPounds I can use SUM(Fields!PickupPounds.Value)in the report, but LoadPounds is the SUM of repeating Values, I used DISTINCT and that gets the correct LoadPounds but I had to group in the sql.

example
LoadPounds
equals
19 but I want only

LoadPounds
equals

Thanks for the help
CoachBarker
Go to Top of Page

CoachBarker
Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-03 : 13:46:10
Something like create table, select distinct LoadPounds, ticket number where ticketNumber = ticketnumber

Thanks for the help
CoachBarker
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-04 : 09:56:28
cast or convert ticket number to integer before using in order by else it will give you results sorted as string value not by its numeric value
Go to Top of Page

CoachBarker
Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-04 : 12:29:57
Ah okay then it was trying to Order By a string instead of a number. Now it is sorting correct in the query but it is still the same in the report.

Thanks for the help
CoachBarker
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-04 : 12:59:34
what do you mean its still same in report? try sorting it in report then
Go to Top of Page

CoachBarker
Posting Yak Master

170 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-04 : 13:57:46
QUERY

SELECT CAST(detail_record.ticket_number AS int) AS TicketNumber, cmDelvTo.customer_number AS DeliverToNumber,
cmDelvTo.customer_name AS DeliverToName, cmDelvTo.city AS DeliverToCity, cmBillTo.customer_number AS BillToNumber,
cmBillTo.customer_name AS BillToName, cmBillTo.city AS BillToCIty, CAST(detail_record.pickup_dt AS datetime) AS PickupDate,
CAST(detail_record.deliver_dt AS datetime) AS DeliverDate, detail_record.pickup_weight AS PickupWeight
ORDER BY detail_record.ticket_number

But in the report it still sorts by pickupDate. In the table1 property dialog I have set the sorting to =Fields!TicketNumber.Value.

Thanks for the help
CoachBarker
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -