SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Is SQL a language that can be utilized to write an Application
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

USA
4137 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  00:21:41  Show Profile  Visit graz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
The "Yukon" build will be scary indeed... I think I will be able to make a living by fixing up databases that have stored procs like...

As an independant consultant I'm also pretty excited about the chances to clean up databases also! Of course I'm dreading all the off the wall questions the site will get :)

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

United Kingdom
12543 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  00:25:54  Show Profile  Visit nr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think dts is scary too.

But then so are xp_sendmail and xp_cmdshell.
Guess that's why I'm unemployed .

What's it like working?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

United Arab Emirates
1408 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  00:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its like Early to Bed and Early to Rise
Its like fulfilling others wishes thru ur efforts ala Jinni(ofcourse they rub you with money)

quote:

What's it like working?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dont Tell God how big your Problem is , Tell the Problem how Big your God is
Go to Top of Page

fisherman_jake
Slave to the Almighty Yak

Australia
159 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  00:50:11  Show Profile  Send fisherman_jake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but back to the topic, the database can be used more than just a database, we've all heard of a Data Driven solution, and basically VB, C/C++, Java, ASP are all empty shells to display the results, and all the work, business rules are done in the backend - the database... So really all that is needed is a generic front end dev tool kit to wrap the db around.. Maybe I'm too naive.. hehehe

==================================================
World War III is imminent, you know what that means... No Bag limits!!!
Master Fisherman
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

United Kingdom
12543 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  00:50:40  Show Profile  Visit nr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Money - I remember that - companies used to give it to me.
Those were the days when my accountant was happy.

Go to Top of Page

fisherman_jake

Australia
159 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  01:03:11  Show Profile  Send fisherman_jake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my bonus for last year's effort, and I wann blow it all on Ken's new book... Now what was it again?? Yeah, MONEY is definitely a good thing.. I'm buying a new car with my bonus too.. Daewoo's TACUMA.. $25K.. What do you think??

Master Fisherman
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

United Kingdom
12543 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  01:19:09  Show Profile  Visit nr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Daewoo Tacuma 2.0 in UK 12,995.
Sounds like you're not getting a good deal unless it comes with lots of options.
See www.daewoo-cars.co.uk.

Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

Australia
1479 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  01:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh - you mean you guys get paid to work (damn!) I've been just coming along for the free bickies...

A bonus - that's when you get to go home early isn't it?

I hope that when I die someone will say of me "That guy sure owed me a lot of money"
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

United Kingdom
12543 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  01:26:58  Show Profile  Visit nr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
>> A bonus - that's when you get to go home early isn't it?
No I think it always involves beer.

Go to Top of Page

Scott
Posting Yak Master

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  01:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

On Serious note, can anyone of you suggest me a university where i can get my Masters thru Distance Education. i badly need one.

www.unisa.ac.za

Go to Top of Page

fisherman_jake

Australia
159 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  01:51:25  Show Profile  Send fisherman_jake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, nr, in the UK but in aussie$25k.. Sounds about the right conversion, actually it sounds cheaper here.. coz 1 pound is about AU$3.. Free Tint and car mats and a full tank of petrol.. I'm a hopeless negotiator..

Master Fisherman
Go to Top of Page

ThreePea
Yak Posting Veteran

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  09:09:24  Show Profile  Visit ThreePea's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, but back to the topic, the database can be used more than just a database, we've all heard of a Data Driven solution, and basically VB, C/C++, Java, ASP are all empty shells to display the results, and all the work, business rules are done in the backend - the database... So really all that is needed is a generic front end dev tool kit to wrap the db around.. Maybe I'm too naive.. hehehe

Its been interesting - when I came out of college and first started database programming about 12 years ago my company used a 4GL called Progress (www.progress.com). Progress was a wonderful RDBMS and Language combined. It contained all the database access language, as well as the user interface. You never had to make a distinction between the UI and the business logic, it was usually all mixed together. On one hand, that made things very easy. On the other hand it was not portable at all, nor was it easily adaptable to a web paradigm.

So when we moved to using SQL Server a couple years ago I had to do a complete shift in my thinking - business logic on the backend with one language (SQL), user interface and data presentation via another whole solution (ASP, VBScript, etc.).

---------------------------------
Jan 22, 1973 - A Day of Disgrace
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

United Arab Emirates
1408 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  09:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what happens when a software tries to do everything.
quote:

Its been interesting - when I came out of college and first started database programming about 12 years ago my company used a 4GL called Progress (www.progress.com). Progress was a wonderful RDBMS and Language combined. It contained all the database access language, as well as the user interface. You never had to make a distinction between the UI and the business logic, it was usually all mixed together. On one hand, that made things very easy. On the other hand it was not portable at all, nor was it easily adaptable to a web paradigm.

What is so significant about this date?
quote:

Go to Top of Page

ThreePea
Yak Posting Veteran

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  10:24:19  Show Profile  Visit ThreePea's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is so significant about this date?

29 years ago today the USA Supreme Court legalized abortion on demand.

Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

Australia
4970 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  16:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Merkin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What you belive is up to you, but please keep inflamatory opinions like that off this board.

Thanks

Damian
Go to Top of Page

henrikop
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

Netherlands
280 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  17:59:46  Show Profile  Visit henrikop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nigel,

How on earth it's possible you're unemployed????

I have to say NO all the time, how can someone brilliant like you, doesn't have a line of employers waiting to hire you?

Henri

Go to Top of Page

JustinBigelow
SQL Gigolo

USA
1157 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  22:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have to say NO all the time, how can someone brilliant like you, doesn't have a line of employers waiting to hire you?

At job interviews Nigel goes on a rant about about cold fizzy beer. It usually results in a call to security and an appearance on the local news channel.

just joking

Justin

Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

United Arab Emirates
1408 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  23:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Problem with Someone as Brillian as Nigel is the Employers feel this guy will not stick for a longer time.

Me too Dont believe that our great nr isnt employed. he might be working as an Independent Consultant.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

ThreePea
Yak Posting Veteran

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2002 :  09:30:05  Show Profile  Visit ThreePea's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

What you belive is up to you, but please keep inflamatory opinions like that off this board.

Hey Merk,

I had no intention of being inflammatory or off-topic. I simply have a particular belief that I state in my signature. As I've been reading hundreds of posts here the last few weeks I've seen all sorts of things in people's sigs - opinions, beliefs, jokes, quotes, etc. So I did the same. I didn't realize only popular and politically correct opinions were allowed in my sig.

This is the last I'll say about this here. Any future discussions we can do in the Yak Corral or via email.

Thanks.

Jerry

Go to Top of Page

Alisterbell
Starting Member

Luxembourg
1 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  16:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unspammed

Edited by - Alisterbell on 02/28/2014 16:43:02