Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 remote access to SQL 2000

Author  Topic 

elmuerto
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-03-24 : 15:11:45
I'm having a bit of an odd problem with remote access on SQL Server 2000. Remote access is working. I can connect to the database using Query Analyzer from a remote location. However, when I try to connect using MS Access 2000, I get the following error:

Connection failed:
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 1231
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOPen (Connect()).
Connection failed:
SQLState: '08000'
SQL Server Error: 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I've double and triple check the access info. it has not been fat-fingered. Is there any reason remote access would work from QA but not from Access?

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-24 : 16:00:04
It's using DBNETLIB to connect. Query Analyzer might be using TCP/IP or something else. I'm not sure if you can force Access to connect using a specific protocol, but perhaps you could try an alias (added via ODBC screen, Client Network Utility, or regedit) or maybe even "tcp:ServerName".

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog

"Let's begin with the premise that everything you've done up until this point is wrong."
Go to Top of Page

naumanahmed
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-11-08 : 17:15:40
quote:
Originally posted by elmuerto

I'm having a bit of an odd problem with remote access on SQL Server 2000. Remote access is working. I can connect to the database using Query Analyzer from a remote location. However, when I try to connect using MS Access 2000, I get the following error:

Connection failed:
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 1231
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOPen (Connect()).
Connection failed:
SQLState: '08000'
SQL Server Error: 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I've double and triple check the access info. it has not been fat-fingered. Is there any reason remote access would work from QA but not from Access?

say
Go to Top of Page

behrman
Yak Posting Veteran

76 Posts

Posted - 2009-12-01 : 10:30:32
Run
sp_configure

you can see "remote access"

Turn it on (set the value to 1 to enable the remote access).

RAQ Report: Web-based Excel-like Java reporting tool
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -