Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 PERFORMANCE ISSUE WITH QRY USING UNIQUE INDEX(SQ

Author  Topic 

rajasnkl
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-03-25 : 12:36:47
Hi All,

This portion of the query which is part of 'MS project Central' is causing performance issue that it runs more than 70 seconds when the expected time should be between 3 to 5 seconds.

Select Distinct MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS_INFO.CUSTFIELD_INFO_ID,CUSTFIELD_NAME
FROM
MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS_INFO MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS_INFO,
MSP_WEB_PROJECT_WORKGROUP_INFO MSP_WEB_PROJECT_WORKGROUP_INFO,
MSP_WEB_ASSIGNMENTS WA,
MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS Where
MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS_INFO.FIELD_ID=MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS.FIELD_ID and
WA.WASSN_ID=MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS.WASSN_ID and
MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS_INFO.CUSTFIELD_INFO_ID=MSP_WEB_PROJECT_WORKGROUP_INFO.CUSTFIELD_INFO_ID and
MSP_WEB_PROJECT_WORKGROUP_INFO.WPROJ_ID=WA.WPROJ_ID and
WA.WASSN_IS_CONFIRMED<>0 and
((WA.WRES_ID=521 and WA.WASSN_REMOVED_BY_RESOURCE=0) OR WA.WRES_ID_TEAM_LEAD=521 OR WA.WASSN_ID in (-1))
ORDER BY A.CUSTFIELD_INFO_ID

None of the following option helps to get the time down to 3 to 5 seconds. I tried running this query after each of the statistics update.But no helps and it stills runs 70 seconds.

1) sp_updatestatus
2) UPDATE STATISTICS <for all 4 tables> WITH FULLSCAN
3) UPDATE STATISTICS <for all 4 tables> WITH SAMPLE 1000 RECORDS

The number of records in each tables are
MSP_WEB_ASSIGNMENTS = 86950
MSP_WEB_PROJECT_WORKGROUP_INFO = 259200
MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS = 259200
MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS_INFO = 336

Each of these tables have some CLUSTERED INDEX and some UNIQUE index. Apparently the UNIQUE index on the column CUSTFIELD_INFO_ID of MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS_INFO is the culprit.

What I mean by culprit is that If I convert the UNIQUE on CUSTFIELD_INFO_ID of MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS_INFO to simple INDEX, My query runs very fast and gives me results in 3 seconds. Since this table has only 336 rows, I even tried by removing the index on this column and re-run the query. To my surprise, query ran in 3 seconds again.
I don't have any control on this query, as it comes from different application.So the possibilities of tweaking this query to make it efficient is not an option.

You may have a question in your mind that why can't I get around this performance issue with either by using simple index or eliminating index on the column CUSTFIELD_INFO_ID of MSP_WEB_WORKGROUP_FIELDS_INFO
. Answers is I need UNIQUE index to enforce duplication prevention on the column CUSTFIELD_INFO_ID.

Therefore I am left with only option of playing around with statistics so that I get the results in 3-5 seconds without changing the database design.

Any thoughts to fix this problem is very much appreciated.

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-25 : 16:06:27
It is so beauty...
SELECT   DISTINCT msp_web_workgroup_fields_info.custfield_info_id, 
custfield_name
FROM msp_web_workgroup_fields_info msp_web_workgroup_fields_info,
msp_web_project_workgroup_info msp_web_project_workgroup_info,
msp_web_assignments wa,
msp_web_workgroup_fields msp_web_workgroup_fields
WHERE msp_web_workgroup_fields_info.field_id = msp_web_workgroup_fields.field_id
AND wa.wassn_id = msp_web_workgroup_fields.wassn_id
AND msp_web_workgroup_fields_info.custfield_info_id = msp_web_project_workgroup_info.custfield_info_id
AND msp_web_project_workgroup_info.wproj_id = wa.wproj_id
AND wa.wassn_is_confirmed <> 0
AND ((wa.wres_id = 521
AND wa.wassn_removed_by_resource = 0)
OR wa.wres_id_team_lead = 521
OR wa.wassn_id IN (-1))
ORDER BY a.custfield_info_id

Maybe now someone can read this and give any tips

Webfred

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -