Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 non-deterministic system functions in where clause

Author  Topic 

tylsun
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-04-01 : 12:55:41
Hi,

I am using SQL Server 2005 (9.0.1399). When I use some non-deterministic system functions in the where clause, the execution plan looks not good to me. Here is a example:

First, create a test table

use tempdb;
go

if object_id('test') is not null
drop table test;
go

create table test (UserName varchar(256), a varchar(100));
go

create unique clustered index cidx_uname on test(UserName)
go

insert into test values('Tom', 'test')
insert into test values('Jerry', 'test')
insert into test values('dbo', 'test')
insert into test values('Marry', 'test')
insert into test values('John', 'test')

go

then look at the execution plans of the following two queries:

select * from test where username = user_name()

select * from test where username = convert(varchar(256),user_name())

The plan for the first query is a clustered index scan, whereas the plan for the second query is a clustered index seek. When the tables are large and queries are more complex, the difference is quite significant.

I tried some other system functions. I found object_name() has the same behavior and getdate() is OK.

Could someone tell me why the query plans are different? Is there any side effect with the second query?

Thanks

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2009-04-01 : 13:47:17
I believe it is because that your [username] column is a varchar datatype. user_name()returns nvarchar. The implicit conversion to varhcar for comparison with your column value is forcing the scan whereas your explicit convert to the same datatype is allowing a seek. getdate() is ok because it returns the same datatype as your column (datetime)

If you change your table definition for [username] to nvarchar you get the seek for both queries.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -