Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Newby has trouble : Upgrade 2000 > 2005

Author  Topic 

Mike2008
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2009-05-26 : 06:34:39
I am lost on this one. I must say that I am not a DB as I always tried to avoid SQL etc.

Now a customer asked us to upgrade one of his SQL 2000 box .. the Upgrade Advisor fires up the following error :

I create an image from the system to try it anyway .. you never know .. anyway, I also get this error when attempting the upgrade :

When I do choose a different data location, I get the following error :

I am really lost here :(

Mike2008
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2009-05-26 : 09:07:55
How random. I think I found it and post the solution here as reference.

I was getting nowhere. The problem was that the Upgrade Advisor always threw and error at the SQL Server part, without specifying what the error is and the damn logfile just referred to itself to check for more details (which is already rubbish).
I figured due to the fact that they don’t use DTS packages, the errors that the advisors throws could be ignored, yet it didn’t go any further.

At the same time the upgrade itself failed with “-1” which was at the point where it runs the advisor also in the background (and “-1” is clearly fail).

Anyway, I found out that you can enable Debugging in the registry:

Then I run it again :

So it errors out at the .NET part ..

Mmmm... So the server had every latest .NET Framework version on the planet installed and as a hunch, I removed every single .NET Framework install and downloaded the Version 2 without Servicepack.

And oh look :

Now how random is that ....
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -