Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Yukon's CLR integration will have full parity with T-SQL

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-02-06 : 13:35:32
XML Web Services were the hot topic at Microsoft's Professional Developers Conference (PDC) 2001, but a few sessions on ADO.NET and the next version of SQL Server (code-named Yukon) shed new light on the future of ADO.NET. Here are the highlights of the PDC 2001 sessions presented by Microsoft's WebData team. The second page (which I linked to) includes a paragrpah on Yukon.

Article Link.

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2002-02-07 : 00:32:46
Woo Hoo! going by the bashing i recieved on this thread http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12598 , this sounds intresting .

quote:

The managed code runs in the SQL Server process and Microsoft promises that performance of compiled CLR code will be equal to or better than equivalent interpreted T-SQL operations

but if only Microsoft keeps its promise(i hope atleast they keep this one ).

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dont Tell God how big your Problem is , Tell the Problem how Big your God is
Go to Top of Page

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2002-02-07 : 02:03:39
Nazim,

I interpret that as.....

Non Set based operations will be faster in compiled CLR code than the equivalent TSQL...

No surprise there really....

Interesting indeed........

DavidM

Tomorrow is the same day as Today was the day before.
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2002-02-07 : 02:17:02
Yeah David i cant agree more on that.

therez no denying the fact that Set based operations are always and will always be faster then Non Set based one's, irrespective of the language used.

quote:

I interpret that as.....

Non Set based operations will be faster in compiled CLR code than the equivalent TSQL

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dont Tell God how big your Problem is , Tell the Problem how Big your God is
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-02-07 : 09:39:47
Can't WAIT for these questions to be posted on SQL Team:

"Yeah, I was screwing around with some System.IO and System.Management classes in my stored procedure, and somehow I reformatted my hard drive. How do I fix that? Oh yeah, all my database files and backup files were on that drive, how do I recover them?"

"I'm working on deploying my application using the universal data store, and when I moved kernel32.dll from the hard drive to my SQL Server database, my whole computer stopped working and it won't boot now..."

Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-02-07 : 17:19:34
uuuggggggghhhhh I have been having nightmares about this for a while. .NET makes this sort of crap possible.

Think about how many times on an ASP list you have seen some idiot posting "How do I put an onclick event in my form ?" or "How do I do a MsgBox in ASP?"

Now, MS have given the tools to people that don't possess enough knowledge to tie their own shoelaces.

Be very afraid.

This is my main critisism of Microsoft, I've said it before and I am sure I will say it again, but it applies to the MS / Oracle debate too. MS make tools that hide the nuts and bolts of a platform from the developer. Now, in the hands of a good developer, that is fine. But it also makes it too easy for really bad developers to do a lot of damage. The result is, we see a LOT of really slow, crappy insecure apps. But the MS platform is blamed, not the developer. That is why you hear things like "SQL Server doesn't scale." "ASP is insecure" and "VB is slow" etc etc

My advice to anyone would be to not let Microsoft or anyone else tell you how to think and how to do things. If they bring out a new toolset, evaluate it. If it is the right tool for the job, use it. But there is no need to switch methodologies just because Microsoft tell you to.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -