Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Development Tools
 Reporting Services Development
 Report Server reports not running

Author  Topic 

duanecwilson
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

273 Posts

Posted - 2009-06-17 : 12:54:32
I am new at reporting services and I have inherited the work of a previous developer. I don't at all know what I am doing with it. I have found the Reports folder. I have also looked in the tables in ther ReportServer database and found records relating to these reports.
The reports are supposed to be run at certain intervals, but they are not running. When I go to the ReportServer site, and click on run, they run on the screen just fine. But they do not run on schedule, nor when I run them do they put copies of the output in any folder according to the subscription information.
I was hired to be this company's hero and get these and many other reports going. I don't want to disappoint them.
I don't know if there is a something that needs to be launched or what. Please help me with this.
Thank you.

Duane

SQLSoaker
Posting Yak Master

169 Posts

Posted - 2009-06-17 : 12:58:09
First try recreating the subscription. Send it to yourself and let us know.
Go to Top of Page

duanecwilson

273 Posts

Posted - 2009-06-17 : 14:01:05
I did that and I got this message:
The SQL Agent service is not running. This operation requires the SQL Agent service. (rsSchedulerNotResponding)
At least this gives me an idea, but I don't know how to get it running.

Duane
Go to Top of Page

duanecwilson

273 Posts

Posted - 2009-06-17 : 16:51:03
Well - I did figure this one out. For anyone else's curiosity (and I know this must be extremely rudimentary for anyone with experience), you can go into Management Studio and check the SQL Server Agent (probably at the bottom of the Object Explorer window). If it is not running, there will be a little red icon on it indicating it is stopped. Right click it and click on Start. I had to find this the hard way. Maybe it will help somebody.

Duane
Go to Top of Page

SQLSoaker
Posting Yak Master

169 Posts

Posted - 2009-06-17 : 16:51:59
Go to Control Panel->administrative Tool->Services on the Report Server.
Start the Sql server Agent.
Go to Top of Page

SQLSoaker
Posting Yak Master

169 Posts

Posted - 2009-06-17 : 16:52:44
quote:
Originally posted by SQLSoaker

Go to Control Panel->administrative Tool->Services on the Report Server.
Start the Sql server Agent.

Nice! Got to it first.
Go to Top of Page

duanecwilson

273 Posts

Posted - 2009-06-18 : 09:18:00
I know this must be very, very basic, but I am missing something. I was able to control the SQL Server Agent through SQL Management Studio, but you are meaning Control Panel on the computer? I did go there and went to Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Services and SQL Server Agent was set to manual. Is that where I should change it? And what is the difference if it is turned on through SQL Management Studio instead?

Duane
Go to Top of Page

SQLSoaker
Posting Yak Master

169 Posts

Posted - 2009-06-18 : 15:45:59
quote:
Originally posted by duanecwilson

I know this must be very, very basic, but I am missing something. I was able to control the SQL Server Agent through SQL Management Studio, but you are meaning Control Panel on the computer? I did go there and went to Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Services and SQL Server Agent was set to manual. Is that where I should change it? And what is the difference if it is turned on through SQL Management Studio instead?

Duane

How do you open Management Studio? On your local machine or do you remote into the server? I always remote connect to the sql server and work in Mangement studio from there. I was referencing the control panel on the sql server.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

duanecwilson

273 Posts

Posted - 2009-06-18 : 16:49:04
I don't even know how you could log in remotely or that you even could do that. Any light anyone wants to shed on this would be welcome. I don't really understand this architecture, for example, what software you need on your machine and what you are actually logging into. Right now, I have Management Studio on my computer and I login and it gives me a choice of different servers, etc. to log into, none of which are actually on my computer. Also, I tried starting up Reporting Services Configuration and an error came up telling me I had no server instance or something like that. But Management Studio and Business Intelligence Development Studio open fine. I am not sure what's what yet though I do manage to get the things done I need to. But I am sure I could go much faster if I understood the architecture. I have ideas on these things, but I know just enough to get me into troouble and not enough to get me out of it.

Duane
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -