Please start any new threads on our new site at We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

Our new SQL Server Forums are live! Come on over! We've restricted the ability to create new threads on these forums.

SQL Server Forums
Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ
Register Now and get your question answered!
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Grant exec on xp_cmdshell for non-sysadmin
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  07:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I want to give exec permission on xp_cmdshell for non-admin(developer) account. I did some googling and tried ,but nothing was useful to me .
Any one help on this.

5072 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  08:31:09  Show Profile  Visit russell's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let me start by saying that this is a very bad idea. Surely there is a better way to accomplish what you need.

see here:

When xp_cmdshell is invoked by a user who is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role, xp_cmdshell will be executed under the security context in which the SQL Server service is running. When the user is not a member of the sysadmin group, xp_cmdshell will impersonate the SQL Server Agent proxy account, which is specified using xp_sqlagent_proxy_account. If the proxy account is not available, xp_cmdshell will fail.
Execute permissions for xp_cmdshell default to members of the sysadmin fixed server role, but can be granted to other users.

Important If you choose to use a Windows NT account that is not a member of the local administrator's group for the MSSQLServer service, users who are not members of the sysadmin fixed server role cannot execute xp_cmdshell.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000