Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Newbie Question. Cannot get permissions.

Author  Topic 

BuzzParker
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2009-08-18 : 16:09:25
I am working on an sql server 2005. I have a user setup and can get to my database and to my tables and list data in a certain table. Works great. When I try to add to the table I get an error No update permissions!.

I open the Sql server management studio and go to security and to the user and make sure they are mapped to the database and have all permissions available. Still I get the same error.

I am a total newbie at this. There are so many options in the Sql server management studio. If I can get past this I will have it made. Spent a lot of time on this.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2009-08-18 : 16:40:04
you need to be sysadmin to alter user permissions. add user to the database role db_datawriter
Go to Top of Page

BuzzParker
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2009-08-19 : 08:46:21
Thanks for the help. I am logged on as the sa. When i open the sa account I see it is mapped to several db's - mine being one of them. It was was not a db_datawriter for mine. I tried to check that role and upon closing I get the following error:

Add member failed for database role db_datawriter.
Cannot use the special principal "dbo". Error 15045.

Cannot find anything on this wihen I google "sql server 2005 error 15045".

I access this table as dbo.userstatstable.

No matter what I try to do to the sa user I get this message.

Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2009-08-19 : 10:04:02
is sa in the sysadmin server role?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -