Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Can I restore a SQL 2000 backup to a SQL 2008 DB

Author  Topic 

PatMc
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-11 : 11:30:28
Hi All,

Again I have a issue and hopefully someone can help me.

We are using SQL Server 2000 and are upgrading to SQL 2008. I am testing what needs to be done and I am having trouble.So here is what I am trying to do.

I am trying to take a SQL 2000 backup and restore it into a SQL 2008 install. It is the master DB and I have put my install into single server mode and used SQLCMD to do the restore. But I am getting an error say that my versions are different.

I have put my SQL 2008 into SQL 2000 compatabilty level which I beleive is different than the version error I am getting when I try and restore the DB.

1 more thing I should mention is that I was unable to do a upgrade from SQl 2000 to SQl 2008 so that is not a option for getting this done.

If this is not really clear I am sorry as I have not been using SQL Server that long and I am trying to learn as I go.

Thanks
Pat

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-11 : 14:24:57
I have never heard that someone did that.
The master is the heart of that sql server.
I don't believe it is possible and I don't think it is a good idea.

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

PatMc
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-11 : 15:45:17
Thanks webfred I was afraid this was going to be the answer.

So I guess my next questions is my database sitting on my SQL 2000 servers is there any way I can make them work on a SQL 2008 database without upgrading.

I know I can use the backups from SQL 2000 and restore them into like database on the SQL 2008 server but I am running into replication issues which I believe is caused by the master database not being the same on the SQL 2008 server.

Am I correct or is it just something I am missing.

Thanks
Pat
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-11 : 16:00:35
An upgrade would recreate a fresh master for the new version anyway. Unless you've added custom stored procedures or user-defined functions to your master database, there's nothing in master you need to preserve. If you have such procedures, you can script them out from the old master to files, do the upgrade or new install, then re-run them in the new master.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-11 : 16:21:37
The only thing I ever need out of master is the logins, which is easy to grab and move to the new server.

I'm not sure I understand your replication issue. Could you describe that more?

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog

"Let's begin with the premise that everything you've done up until this point is wrong."
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -