Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 What does this mean?

Author  Topic 

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-18 : 02:10:36
quote:
The operating system returned error 665(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105) to SQL Server during a write at offset 0x000005f99b0000 in file 'F:\Data\XYZ.mdf:MSSQL_DBCC46'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

The OS error 665 means
quote:
The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation
The server is run in a VMWare virtual environment but the files are stored on a SAN.

I also have found this error message in Event Viewer
quote:
The log for database 'XYZ' is not available.

It seems that VMWare has it's own technique for backing up VMs... It "detaches" the files and back them up during a second and then "attach" the file again. My former colleague tells me it's a known "bug" in VMware.

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"

rajdaksha
Aged Yak Warrior

595 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-18 : 02:18:33
hi

I have read some where like this for error 665

SQL Server reports operating system error 1450 or 1452 or 665

Overview

The error: 1450/1452/665 insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

These are not a SQL Server based errors. The error cause is related to a depleted system resource (non-paged pool, paged pool ,...). These issues have to be tracked down at the operating system level. This involves collection of system level performance monitor counters and evaluating the basic health of the overall system.

/3GB
A commonly overlooked configuration option is the use of /3GB. The /3GB boot switch limits the operating system space to 1GB on a 32 a bit system. If your system is running with /3GB and you can't pinpoint the resource depletion consider removing the /3GB boot switch.

SQL Server Retries

When these errors occur they usually appear during SQL Server I/O operations (ReadFile, WriteFile, ReadFileScatter, WriteFileGather, DeviceIoControl, …) SQL Server identifies the situation, pauses briefly (a few milliseconds) to allow the system to respond and retries the I/O operation.

-------------------------
R...
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso

30421 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-18 : 02:51:10
I tried "dbcc checkdb('xyz) WITH ALL_ERRORMSGS, NO_INFOMSGS" and hot this text in return.

Msg 1823, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
A database snapshot cannot be created because it failed to start.
Msg 1823, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
A database snapshot cannot be created because it failed to start.

The operating system returned error 665(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105) to SQL Server during a write at offset 0x00000695016000 in file 'F:\Data\XYZ.mdf:MSSQL_DBCC46'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.
Msg 7928, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The database snapshot for online checks could not be created. Either the reason is given in a previous error or one of the underlying volumes does not support sparse files or alternate streams. Attempting to get exclusive access to run checks offline.
Msg 9001, Level 21, State 7, Line 1
The log for database 'XYZ' is not available. Check the event log for related error messages. Resolve any errors and restart the database.
Msg 3313, Level 21, State 2, Line 1
During redoing of a logged operation in database 'XYZ', an error occurred at log record ID (1363786:376:1). Typically, the specific failure is previously logged as an error in the Windows Event Log service. Restore the database from a full backup, or repair the database.
Msg 0, Level 20, State 0, Line 0
A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso

30421 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-18 : 04:45:30
Well, problem seems to be resolved now without me having to do anything!
When VMWare had done all it's snapshots and backups, the log file is accesible again.
Running same DBCC command as above now returns nothing.

What have this lesson learned me?

1) Don't use VMware 3.5 and definately not during snapshots and backups.
2) Rethink if virutal machine is the right choice for a terabyte datawarehouse, even if data files are on SAN.

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -