Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 I/O error Sql 2000

Author  Topic 

gfgfg
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-19 : 10:27:55
Hi,

I am trying to take backup of one DB Which is showing Continuosly I/O Error 21 (The device is not ready) deteceted during read at offset 0x000000000000000040 in file e:\test.ndf Error 823. The Step Failed.

The backup was running smoothly for last 2 years.

Database Configuration is Test.mdf--->d:\ Test.ldf----> D: Test.Ndf----> E:\ USB Drive

Database is running smoothly.

please help me.

regards, Manish

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-19 : 10:58:04
Either your USB drive has failed, or the USB cable connecting it, or it's been disconnected.

Rant: NEVER RUN SQL SERVER DATABASES FROM USB OR FIREWIRE DRIVES. I would have thought this was common sense but I've seen it too many times to count.
Go to Top of Page

gfgfg
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-19 : 11:12:27
USB Drive is Running smoothly. as i took Ctrl-c and Ctrl-V of ndf file and moved to another location.

It means USB Drive is working.
Can i detach database and move mdf file and ndf file to another location.

I have taken backup of primary file and log backup successfully but .ndf file backup showing errors.
Dbcc checkdb showing errors of ndf file(the device not ready)
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-19 : 11:34:45
If you moved the file off the USB drive before detaching it, that's what caused the problem. You need to detach the database before moving files (regardless of drive type). If you can't detach normally, put the database in Emergency mode and then detach it.

If the file is still on the USB drive, you should make a new copy of it to a different location. Try attaching the database using this new file location, if that fails try the other (first) one.

Assuming that is successful, make a Full database backup immediately and store it in a safe place (NOT on a USB drive). Then re-run DBCC CHECKDB and evaluate the errors and repair options. If you can repair without losing data, go ahead and do it. You'll have to determine yourself whether you can afford to lose data or not, should that be your only repair option.

If the database cannot be repaired, you'll either have to restore your last know good backup, or restore any later backups and try querying tables for data you can recover.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -