Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 Insert while using identity to insert other tables

Author  Topic 

steppinthrax
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-29 : 12:18:26
Essentially this is what I'm doing.

I have a 3 table database. One of the tables is the main table having a primary key with identity seed of (1). I need to insert data into this table while at the same time inserting related data in the other two tables. In order for the data to be related or corespond with the main table data, I will need to take the identity from the main table and use it in the other tables.

In other words, how do I use the identity seed that is generated upon insert to be used for the insertion of data into other tables. AND the insert either needs to FAIL all at once to prevent data integrety problems.

Zim327
Yak Posting Veteran

62 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-29 : 12:51:33
put your insert statement in a stored procedure and then use the
SCOPE_IDENTITY() function to get the new ID just created
and use it to do the other inserts either in the same procedure or call separate ones.
Either that or put a trigger on the table to update the other tables after an insert and/or update
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-29 : 13:55:49
i prefer doing this in procedure rather than in trigger. also make sure you wrap all insert logic in a transaction in procedure to rollback all in case of intermediate failure.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -