SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 TempDB grows causing C drve to be FULL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dr223
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

416 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  11:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hallo,

I am working with Sql server 2005, I am trying to download a large table of over 100 million records. I have stored the database where the table is downloaded in my E drive so space on this perspective is sorted. However, when I use the import and export wizard the tempDB (stored in the C drive)grows rapidly and completes the 23.1 GB space available before the table is dowloaded from a flat file.

It has been set to simple but still the growth is immense and it crashes before the flat file is downloaded. When I restart the server the tempdb reduces in size again.
Is there anyway I can manage to reduce the size of the tempdb while the table is being downloaded? Or any ideas?

Thanks

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
37143 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  13:15:49  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'll need to perform the download in chunks (perhaps one million or one hundred thousand rows at a time) to prevent the tempdb issue. You could also choose to move tempdb to the E drive if you have enough disk space there.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog

"Let's begin with the premise that everything you've done up until this point is wrong."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000