Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Cant Backup FailsSQL2008 SP1 Database, Reason 1815

Author  Topic 

BigMeat
Yak Posting Veteran

56 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-22 : 16:14:53
Hi

I have a Win 2003 server running SQL Server Express 2008 SP1, I have a datbase which has been running fine for about 9 months. The .mdf file is 1.8Gb in size

For the past 6 months I have been running a script every night to backup the datbase. THis has worked great, but all of a sudden my database fails to Backup. I have even tried to backup the database using SQL Server Management Studio Bacup Wizard but this also fails. The error I get is:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: Write "D:\MSSQL\...myDB.BAK" failed: 27(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason:1815 (Microsft.SqlServer.Smo)

I did some research and thought it might be a permissions problem for the SQL Server user on the File System. But I have given the SQL Server user accounf Full Control over the datbase and file location to which the backup is being placed.

I dont understand why it has stopped backing up.... I have been pulling my hair out.... any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks in advance

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-22 : 16:20:39
Check the SQL Server Error Log for the exact backup failure error and post it here.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog

"Let's begin with the premise that everything you've done up until this point is wrong."
Go to Top of Page

BigMeat
Yak Posting Veteran

56 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-22 : 17:42:21
Hi

I checked the SQL Server Error Log and it says:

"BACKUP failed to complete command BACKUP DATABASE myDbName Check the backup application log for detailed messages"

Im not sure where the "backup application log" is?

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

BigMeat
Yak Posting Veteran

56 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-22 : 17:51:35
Hi

I have some bits of teh error in the log, it says:

This error occures first: Error: 18210, Severity: 16 State 1

Then an error of: Error 3041, Severity 16, State 1

Does this help?

Thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-22 : 19:06:04
to view the application log, click START, click RUN, type in EVENTVWR hit <ENTER>

the error #s you posted above represent the error messages you posted 2 posts above

make sure D: drive isn't full.
make sure SQL Service account has permission on D:
Go to Top of Page

BigMeat
Yak Posting Veteran

56 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-23 : 06:44:16
Hi

I have checked the event viewer and it says the above error message. I have got over 60Gb free on my D drive, however I have 500Mb of space on my C drive, woudl this affect the backup process?

The only other thing I can think of was that I changed the "temp" and "tnp" folder location for my windows 2003 server. It was mapped to "systemroot" and I changed this to teh D drive. I have given my SQL Server User full permissions on this folder. As I thought it might be trying to right to thsi folder but didnt have permisions.

Is there anything else I can check?

Many thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page

BigMeat
Yak Posting Veteran

56 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-23 : 06:50:55
Opps I also forgot to mention that I have other databases on the SQL Server and they all seem to backup fine, they are much smaller in size, about 300Mg each. The database im having problems with is 1.8Gb, could it be due to the size? Or maybe it might be creating a large temp file somewhere and it is running out of space whilst doing the backup?
Go to Top of Page

BigMeat
Yak Posting Veteran

56 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-23 : 15:36:51
I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas on the above.

Im pulling hair out on this one

Many thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-23 : 16:41:04
you can backup other databases to same location?

1.8 GB is very small, not the problem.

is location on D: drive read/write?

tried making service account local admin on the machine?

can you backup the db successfully to a different location?

finally, run checkdb on the database in question
Go to Top of Page

BigMeat
Yak Posting Veteran

56 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-24 : 09:22:30
Superb, thanks fro the above. I started by doing a CHECKDB and it returned the below. I then did a backup and it all worked fine.

CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'myDB'.

Im not exactley sure what CHECKDB did but it seems to have fixed the problem. Thankyou so much for your help...... your a star!!!
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-25 : 12:43:15
Might be a good time to reboot the box. When was last reboot? Sounds like a disk or OS error, becuase running checkdb shouldn't have fixed it...

Make sure disks aren't failing. By the way, if they are, a reboot could finish 'em off, so proceed carefully.
Go to Top of Page

BigMeat
Yak Posting Veteran

56 Posts

Posted - 2009-10-25 : 12:56:54
Hi

I did a defrag of the drive and it took all night to complete. I did a reboot and everything seems ok now.

Thanks again for all your help

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -