Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Trouble connecting to QA through firewall

Author  Topic 

smccreadie
Aged Yak Warrior

505 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-05 : 19:39:04
I've been using SQL Server from home through a VPN/cable modem for some time and not had trouble until recently. The last week or so, I've not been able to connect to QA due to timeout errors. I increased my timeout setting from 15 to 30 and then to 60, but it always times out after about 10 seconds.

I can connect to EM fine. I did apply the MS security patch the other day. Anybody know if that causes connection issues? Any other ideas?

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-11 : 14:18:32
Scott,

Just a WAG here, but do you have the SQL Client Network Utility setup on your machine, with an alias pointing to the right IP Address/network library/port number? I could imagine that being without that it might slow things down, and possibly be affected by the MS Security Patch.

Like I said, just a WAG...

------------------------
GENERAL-ly speaking...

Edited by - AjarnMark on 03/11/2002 14:19:29
Go to Top of Page

smccreadie
Aged Yak Warrior

505 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-11 : 14:43:37
I do have the client utility but I didn't have an alias defined. I just did that and will check when I'm at home.

The machine is a laptop that I use both at home and at work. It connects fine from work.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll let you know if it works.

Go to Top of Page

smccreadie
Aged Yak Warrior

505 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-12 : 05:06:53
AjarnMark - it worked. I didn't have the client utility set up optimally. Probably was OK before the security patch but know isn't.

Anyway - I can connect now.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -