Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 SQL Backup failed

Author  Topic 

aktaton
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-19 : 14:50:57
Greatings to all:

On SQL 2003 server SQL Server and SQL agent services were running and domain administrator's user accont. Maintenance plan was backing up to a remote location fine. We recently changed the sql server and sql agen services to run under a new domain user and added the new account to local admins group on both servers but backup failed. We gave full access on share and ntfs permission on the share on remote machine but still backup fails. Bellow is the error message.

failed with the following error: "xp_delete_file() returned error 2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.'". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly. End Error Progress: 2009-11-19 13:34:46.54 Source: Check Database Integrity Task Executing query "... The package execution fa... The step failed.
Thank you in advance.

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-19 : 14:54:50
are you using unc path to file location or mapped drive? if mapped drive, change it to unc
Go to Top of Page

aktaton
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-19 : 17:27:59
Yes I am using UNC. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-19 : 19:13:14
then seems like a permissions issue. i'd double check the service account in fact has permission on the drive/share/file
Go to Top of Page

aktaton
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-24 : 09:25:59
I have logged on using the service account and was abble to access the drive\share\file. Also can add or delete file. I created a share on another server and test it but still SQL Backup fails. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-24 : 10:56:15
then new account doesn't have permission to execute XP_DeleteFile.

I won't use maintenance plans by the way. Better off using backup command.
Go to Top of Page

aktaton
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-24 : 12:08:45
As you have mentioned the error sounds like permsion problem but I gave it full access to everything. I tried to create a new maintenance plan and as soon as I typed the UNC path and click next, I received the following error: The database engine service could not resolve the specified folder. Either the location does not exist or the current login accouont does not have access to it. Verify that the folder exists, and that the login account has permission on it. I have given the account full access to everything but I do not know why access refused through SQL. As far as using command I do not feel comfortable with command backup. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -