Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Msg 605, Error 823, Msg 8966 -> Win7+XP Mode, MSDE

Author  Topic 

gogogadgetearl
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-11-24 : 15:17:27
My setup:
  • Windows 7 + XP Mode
  • MSDE running on XP Mode VPC
  • SQL Server Management Studio 2008 on XP Mode VPC (to connect to MSDE locally)
  • Fresh install of everything listed above

My scenario:
  • Created new DB ("GCM")
  • Restored customer's production database to GCM (2 databases in the backup file, no logs, restored only the latest database which was the only one marked with a finish date); restore succeeded
  • Ran a stored procedure (that basically runs a SELECT statement on an existing View); got Msg 605:
    Attempt to fetch logical page (1:1315) in database 'GCM' belongs to object '485572672', not to object '[table_name_used_in_view]'.
  • Ran "Script Table as > CREATE To > New Query Editor Window"; got Error 823:
    I/O error (bad page ID) detected during read at offset 0x00000001206000 in file '[path\to\file.mdf]'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 823)
  • Ran "DBCC CHECKDB('GCM')"; got Msg 8966:
    Could not read and latch page (1:2307) with latch type SH. sysindexes failed.

Not sure what the exact issue is, but my research leads me to a few guesses:
  1. XP Mode is not mapping the hardware properly and/or MSDE on XP Mode is not a supported/funtional setup.
  2. I'm having actual hardware failure that isn't yet affecting the rest of my system. [url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828339[/url]
  3. My customer sent me a backup of a corrupted database, or the backup file was somehow corrupted in transfer/restoration.
  4. Perhaps something to do with KB 838765 (I have a tri-core AMD Phenom)... [url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838765[/url]

Any ideas out there?

dsqwang
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-14 : 23:52:12
Hi, I noticed from your posting that you have installed MSDE 2000 into Window 7's XP Mode.

I have tried to do this for a week without success. I have searched the web for possible solutions to fix this problem and tried each of them, but without success. I have even re-installed XP Mode, and still could not install MSDE. The error message is "Setup failed to configure the server". My computer has Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. Does it have anything to do with this multiprocessor machine? Any help is appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-15 : 04:09:45
Most likely cause is that the client sent you a corrupt backup. Please have them run the following on their server. If they see errors and they don't have a good DBA inhouse, best bet is to call Microsoft's customer support people.

DBCC CHECKDB (<Database Name>) WITH NO_INFOMSGS, ALL_ERRORMSGS

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

dsqwang
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-15 : 04:34:54
There is no client back up involved. I am trying to install a new msde 2000 (sp4) into the virtual PC.
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-15 : 06:20:51
I was replying to the OP, not to you. Didn't notice the date.

Please in future start new threads for new questions, don't resurrect old, unrelated threads.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -