Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Breaking into the DB field...

Author  Topic 

willtech10577
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2009-12-29 : 10:09:52
Hello all! I am posting this (sorry if this is in the wrong forum but it said New to DBA) but I am a networking professional for about 5 years now am I must admit I am getting bored of the networking end of the field.

I am looking into studying SQL 2008 to do DB Administration and I find it very challenging and unique. Its also a nice that I recently got married and these crazy on-call shifts and working at client sites on weekends and the such is getting in the way of my family life (not like when I was single). Its my understanding most of the SQL things can be done remotely so that should help in that respect.

I started reading MS Press book 70-432 book for the DBA cert and been playing with T-SQL and SQL Mgmt Studio and I have a basic grasp of the concepts.

My question is...how is one to break into the DBA field? Any suggestions would be apprciated.
Thanks!

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-12-29 : 11:01:12
It can be very hard to break into the DBA field unless you are willing to take a dramatic pay cut. You'll have to start as an intern or a junior DBA unless you've got some DBA experience already and can prove it during an interview. You need to build relationships with other DBAs and hopefully a position will open.

Although I work remotely when I'm on-call, DBAs can get paged quite a bit. That's part of the reason for our salary requirements. The key is to stabilize the environment and be proactive so that the issues do not happen at night.

You'll want to get certified as a Microsoft DBA, can't remember the name of the certification at the moment because they keep changing it.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog

"Let's begin with the premise that everything you've done up until this point is wrong."
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2009-12-29 : 11:28:32
Worth reading: http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2009/04/how-to-get-a-junior-dba-job-part-1/

Personally I'd say that DBAs have just as much on-call shifts and working weekends as the network admins, maybe more.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

willtech10577
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2009-12-29 : 21:15:24
^
Nice -- thanks for the article, GilaMonster.

Well its not only the oncall hours that sparked my interest. The higher pay (higher responsbility) also attracts me as well as the challenge of the material.

Learning MCSA administration work is fairly simple once you grasp basic concepts -- I am sure SQL is similiar but I am finding it harder to learn than my past stuides which I could easily "wing it".
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2009-12-29 : 21:59:11
since u are already a network admin, i'd suggest paying a lot closer attention to any sql servers on your network. read everything u can on sql server...including here, books, blogs, mdsn, bol, etc.

i assume you're already a hardware expert, so learn how, what and why sql server utilizes hardware differently than other apps and file servers etc.

get this book: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Server-Performance-Optimization-Handbook/dp/1555582419 read it and digest it. it will come easier to you than the average beginning dba. and it is still relevant for sql 2005/08

then make yourself a t-sql expert

my 2c
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2009-12-29 : 23:43:00
Due to your current experience, you should look into production DBA responsibilities since you are coming from the server side. The other side is a development DBA which comes easier for application developers. Some DBAs are both, like me, but in some organizations they separate the production DBAs and development DBAs into different groups that have different responsibilities.

A production DBA does not necessarily need to be strong in T-SQL, but rather you need to be strong on backups, performance optimizations (indexes, statistics, etc...), proactive administration (monitoring and setting up alerts), etc...

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog

"Let's begin with the premise that everything you've done up until this point is wrong."
Go to Top of Page

willtech10577
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2009-12-31 : 16:53:49
^

yeah, I've been poking my head into each Mgmt Studio I find on any server I go into (i do consulting so I find myself in different scenarios).

I've been reading the 70-432 book and some other material online. Although doing production DBA would be a good way to break into the field -- I am also studying alot on T-SQL as well since I dont want to be another GUI Admin.

I'll also pickup that Optimization book as well and take a read into it.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-01 : 10:47:57
quote:
Originally posted by willtech10577

^
I am also studying alot on T-SQL as well since I dont want to be another GUI Admin.

Good!
Go to Top of Page

willtech10577
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-03 : 12:03:50
^ Haha -- Russell do you find that the field has alot of GUI DBAs? I was hoping to lose those people since in the networking field people rather use GUI than actually KNOW what they are doing which kinda ticks me off when I studied and know more than another guy yet hes on my level -- or worse -- above.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-03 : 18:55:27
Even though you addressed your question to russell, I'll give my two cents on it. Most DBAs use the GUI in some form. Those who can also use the actual commands to do the work are typically the more experienced DBAs.

When I said that a production DBA doesn't necessarily need to be strong in T-SQL, I meant the development part not the admin part. Typically the T-SQL books are all about the development part. The admin part deals with CREATE/ALTER/DBCC/... commands, whereas the development part deals with SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE/...

A good DBA needs to have skills in all aspects, just need to find out where your strengths are.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog

Go to Top of Page

willtech10577
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-03 : 22:47:44
tkizer, Of course -- the GUI makes life little easier but like I mentioned before I rather get strong in T-SQL and not 100% rely on the GUI to do the work for me. I noticed a couple of commands that simply cant be done in the GUI so I found that to be of interest.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-03 : 23:00:10
I just don't want you to think that T-SQL books cover the DBA portion of commands. They don't. Make sure you focus on DBA books at first. Once those skills are honed, then work on the T-SQL books.

Just to make my stance clear, I'm a command DBA not a GUI DBA. See my blog for examples, more specifically the database maintenance routines I wrote: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/archive/2004/07/02/1705.aspx .

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog

Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-04 : 03:36:54
A mix between the GUI and TSQL is what works for me...and you'll see that you'll probably end up with the same conclusion. Working with the SQL Server Agent setting up jobs and such is a pain through tsql, while getting your backup/restore procedures in order is a pain using the GUI. The GUI usually adds a lot of overhead though so trying to learn the tsql is a great choice.

I have learnt more or less all I know about SQL Server from this forum and built a pretty solid career on it, and as long as you ask the questions and take the time to study the answers you can come a long way just using the free advice of all the great people here.

- Lumbago
http://xkcd.com/327/
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-04 : 11:09:26
the book i reccomended is a dba book, not a t-sql book. for admins, not developers. and still one of the best out there.

all of kalen delaney's internals stuff is worth a look too.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-04 : 12:57:26
I know, I wasn't referring to the book recommendation.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog

Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-04 : 15:27:01

sorry
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-04 : 15:38:03
About the only thing I use the GUI for is to create sql agent jobs. Sometimes to check security/permissions.

Pretty much everything else I use commands for.

Oh yeah, I use it occasionally to set up replication too
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-04 : 15:45:21
That sounds about right for me too. I also use the built-in SSMS reports for a quick glance at production. The performance dashboard report also comes in handy for a quick look.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog

Go to Top of Page

Transact Charlie

3451 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-05 : 05:04:51
Here's a (slightly) off topic question about performance for tkizer and russel, et al:

In your shop when you come across some process that you think isn't performing well what do you recommend and where does your input start and stop?

You mentioned indexing and obviously blocking / deadlocking, but are you involved with suggesting code changes with your sql skills or is their a cut off point where you just say "go rewrite this somehow".

I'm interested because I work for quite a small company and we all have probably too many hats. It would be an interesting insight into a bigger organisation.

Thanks,

Charlie
===============================================================
Msg 3903, Level 16, State 1, Line 1736
The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-05 : 06:24:46
Even though the question wasn't directed at me I'll give my 2 cents

Hardly any of the developers I've worked with over the years are pure sql server developers, they're usually application developers that needs a sql server for storage. And an application developer has a tendency to spend way more time optimizing his/her java/c#/whatever than their sql queries hence their knowledge of the capabilities are limited. And it is because of this I think that the better a DBA is at database/query development the better he/she will be at their job because they are more qualified to see things from both sides and give more qualified advice.

- Lumbago
http://xkcd.com/327/
Go to Top of Page

Transact Charlie

3451 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-05 : 09:16:40
Sorry Lumbago -- didn't see your earlier reply. have edited my question. Thanks for the reply.

Charlie
===============================================================
Msg 3903, Level 16, State 1, Line 1736
The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -