SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 database structure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hazyboy98
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  17:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to database management. I am learning Crystal Reports right now, and I am starting to understand a little better how databases work in general, but my company uses a DB2 database that has over 1000 tables and I don't know how they are all connected, so I am having difficulty pulling the data I want into my Crystal Reports.

So my question is if there is a way to make a list of all the tables and their column headings with the primary and foreign keys labeled. I think this could be referred to as the database structure or schema. If anyone knows a way to do this, or some other way I can find the way the database is linked, please let me know.

Steve H.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
37316 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  17:49:27  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since this is a Microsoft SQL Server site, you should try posting your DB2 question on a site that specializes in that. There's a DB2 forum over at dbforums.com, so perhaps try your question there.

In SQL Server, you could reverse engineer the ERD via SSMS, or you could figure it out via the INFORMATION_SCHEMA views.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog

"Let's begin with the premise that everything you've done up until this point is wrong."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000