Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Moving to production

Author  Topic 

prodigy2006
Yak Posting Veteran

66 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-06 : 09:39:42
We are planning to move a test server to production. This server has both SQL Server and SQL Server Reporting Services installed on it which is not so usual in our environment.

My questions are:
(1) In our environment, usually the other systems that require SSRS typically have that feature installed on an additional server. So, I'd like to know if it's a best practice to install both SQL and SSRS on the same server?

(2) There are going to be about 15 users, but I'm not sure how much resources will be eaten up by these users.

(3) Does it make more sense to reinstall SQL on this server and SSRS on another?

Configuration:
a)Enterprise Edition(64-bit) is installed
b)OS is Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP2, 2GB RAM allocated to the OS, Processor 2.4GHz
c)2047MB RAM is allocated to SQL Server
d)Number of Processors:1
e)SQL Version: 9.00.4053.00

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-06 : 10:05:52
1. It's a best practice to install them on different servers. SQL Server should be on a dedicated server.
2. Miniscule amount for the login
3. Perhaps just uninstall SSRS and move it to another box. I doubt you need to reinstall SQL Server.

You should upgrade to the latest cumulative update package so that you are not running the base sp3 product. A critical hotfix was released in October for sp3, so you should at a minimum upgrade to that. If you upgrade to that, it'll take you to build 4262 although there are newer cumulative update packages available.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog

"Let's begin with the premise that everything you've done up until this point is wrong."
Go to Top of Page

prodigy2006
Yak Posting Veteran

66 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-06 : 10:56:25
Thanks Tara, I really appreciate your answer.
But don't you think 2GB SQL Server memory and only 1 processor are major drawbacks which may cause lot of issues in the future?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-06 : 11:03:11
It depends on your application and database. How big is your database expected to be? Are you using best practices in regards to the data access? Are your tables properly indexed? Will you have maintenance jobs in place to rebuild/reorganize indexes and update statistics?

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog

"Let's begin with the premise that everything you've done up until this point is wrong."
Go to Top of Page

prodigy2006
Yak Posting Veteran

66 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-06 : 11:43:10
"How big is your database expected to be?"-There are 2 databases which could go upto 80 Gig.

"Are you using best practices in regards to the data access?"-I'm not sure about this. Could you please explain a bit on this.

"Are your tables properly indexed?"-I know that my tables are indexed but I'm not sure what do you mean by "properly indexed"?

"Will you have maintenance jobs in place to rebuild/reorganize indexes and update statistics?"- Yes, I have maintenance jobs that reorganize indexes and update statistics few times a week.

Thanks Tara.
Go to Top of Page

prodigy2006
Yak Posting Veteran

66 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-07 : 09:31:30
I'd really appreciate if someone could answer my questions.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

behrman
Yak Posting Veteran

76 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-09 : 12:03:51
Hi.
Please refer to the url below:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wpdoc/v510/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wp.ent.doc/wps/adxmlexp.html
Regards,
behrman.

RAQ Report: Web-based Excel-like Java reporting tool
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -