Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Error 10061, connection actively refused

Author  Topic 

ron2112
Starting Member

44 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-07 : 15:39:52
Got a strange one here. Two WinXP client machines and a third machine running SQL Server Express 2005... Client A can connect to the SQL Server just fine, Client B can see the server instance in the browser but cannot connect (attempted using the sa account via SSMS). At this point, the error coming back was 26, "Error Locating Service/Instance Specified."

Since Client A can connect, we know that the SQL Server is running and is configured to accept remote connections. So we set up an alias on Client B. This did not resolve the situation, but it did change the error to 10061, "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

After this we tried the following:
> Confirmed TCP/IP is enabled on the server.
> Confirmed TCP/IP is using port 1433 and so is the alias on Client B.
> Tried using the server's IP address instead of the machine name.

And we're still stuck at error 10061 on Client B. I'm not sure what else there is to look at... anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Ron Moses

shan
Yak Posting Veteran

84 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-07 : 16:01:02
Try connecting with the IP Address, portnumber and see if it works.

-Shan
Go to Top of Page

ron2112
Starting Member

44 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-08 : 08:31:44
quote:
Originally posted by shan

Try connecting with the IP Address, portnumber and see if it works.

Did that, same result. That's what I meant in my third bullet item, sorry if that was unclear.

Ron Moses
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-08 : 10:03:11
what OS is SQL Server on?

Make sure windows firewall is not running. Make sure using TCP/IP and not named pipes.

Edit: Also, see this: http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2007/07/19/tcp-provider-no-connection-could-be-made-because-the-target-machine-actively-refused-it.aspx
Go to Top of Page

ron2112
Starting Member

44 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-08 : 10:42:12
quote:
Originally posted by russell

what OS is SQL Server on?

Make sure windows firewall is not running. Make sure using TCP/IP and not named pipes.

Edit: Also, see this: http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2007/07/19/tcp-provider-no-connection-could-be-made-because-the-target-machine-actively-refused-it.aspx

The server is Win2000 running SQL Server 2005. No firewall is running, and we have confirmed TCP/IP is enabled.

I'll look through that article, thank you for the link.

Ron Moses
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-08 : 12:05:11
you created an alias. is that alias using TCP/IP or Named Pipes? Make sure TCP/IP
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -