Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Only Win XP Clients cannot Connect remotely

Author  Topic 

Zaph0d
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-28 : 01:42:58
Hi,

i have a strange one...

On our server (Win 2003R2) wa have a SQL 2005 Standard installed. It's configured to accept remote connections.

Two other win2003R2 servers are accesing this sql via ODBC, no problems, this works fine.

BUT...when i try to establish connections via ODBS from any Win XP (tried several) i get this message: error: '10061(No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.)'.

The very same XP machines have been verified to be working since they can do exactly the same connection to a SQL2005 Express on another machine which we use for develpment purposes.

Also tried to install SSMS on one of these XP Machines, and it can't connect to the SQL server via that either.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Zaph0d
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-28 : 05:35:43
Problem is probably solved...

there seems to be som inconsistent behaviour around "active ips and protocols"

We now tested to do a telnet on port 1433 locally on the SQL server, this didn't work.

We then tried to reconfigure protocols, turning all off but TCP/IP and disable ListenALL, then setting Active and enbled on the used ip and specifying port 1433.

This med the whole difference, now telnet works and the correct entries are found in the sqlerror logfile. Before there were only one Listen entry (127.0.0.1 port 1434) which is a rather strange one. Now the real ip shows up on port 1433.

Now the question is, how on earth could the Other Win2003 server connect to this sql database even before we made any changes?

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-28 : 07:20:50
There may have been some default behaviour in old Windows version that favoured Named Pipes. Perhaps Newer Windows favour TCP/IP ??

Maybe NamedPipes packets weren't up to the job of getting through the wiring spaghetti?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -