Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 Replication problem.

Author  Topic 

Akuma
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-28 : 07:03:21
Hi there, this is my first post here after searching in the forums for a similar case like I've but I haven't seen it. First of all, sorry for my bad english, and secondly sorry if the questions seems dumbs but I've join in the database scene recently.
This is the sceneraio:
A central server with SQL Server 2000, some client servers with SQL Server 2000. All the client servers are subscribers from the central wich is the publicator and distributor of the database. The replication of the database use the merge one with preference of the central SQL Server.
The problem:
Because the Windows Server that holds the central SQL Server had problems with its conectivity, all the subscriptions became expired and were deleted by the apropiate service, so they doesn't exist in the central SQL Server. Also, with this break I used the time gap I had meanwhile the Windows Server got its connectivity repaired to check that one of the articles shouldn't replicate to the central database but it was being replicated before the connection cut, so I decided to get out the article from the publication thinking that when the replication would work again, this article won't be replicated anymore with the central SQL Server. I made a new snapshot to include this change.
While the connection with the central server was down, new data got introduced in the client SQL Servers because they need to continue working even without replicating to the central one.
The thing it's pissing me off:
Now, the connection is up and I've found terrible things when I tried to put on the replication again due to my lack of knowledge in the SQL Server world. I wanted to make the new data the client servers aquired to be replicated with the central and then continue replicating data normally as they do before the subscriptions expired.
Things I tried:
I tried to reinitialice the subscription from the subscribers but this didn't worked because the subscription doesn't exist on the central server.
I tried to delete the subscriptions on the subscribers side and create them again, but the new data (and some of the old, dunno why) is deleted from the subscribers and it starts to replicate only with the data that is hold in the central SQL Server.
I tried to, after replicating with the lost of the new data, to restore the subscribers database with other name and export the data to the replicated database. The data is correctly imported but when I start the replication process, it says that there's nothing to replicate, as if the new data I exported weren't in the table. Also, the application that is used to manage the data of the client database can only see the old replicated data and not the new one that I exported.
I've check that after replicating and deleting data, if I make a change with the application used to manage the data, the changes are replicated and are ok.
The questions:
I'm lost after all my tries failed. I've searched on many forums to see what happens with this but I can't find something similar to my case.
- I wanted to know if there's a way to get the new data of the client SQL Server replicated again to the central SQL server.
- Also, how does SQL Server knows wich tables or data must be replicated and what not. In wich tables does it store the information related to this and if it could be changed manually.
- And lastly, why when I exported the data from the new database to the old replicating one, SQL Server doesn't see it as a change and replicate the table.

Thank you very much and sorry for the big explanation.
Cheers,

Akuma.

Akuma
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-12 : 08:27:44
Any clue about this?

Thanks,

Akuma.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -