Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 PF Usage

Author  Topic 

dbalearner
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

272 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-01 : 22:27:52
We have Production Server though there were no activity going on yet it goes with Page File Increases consistently during the business hours. Later We have organised twice with Rebooting the server, there after it came to a low where it should be.

Is there any general guidelines needs to be done to curb the CPU and PF Usage to a low when there is not much activity.

Please advise this phenomenon. Thanks a Lot.

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-01 : 23:23:47
What OS, how much RAM, and what size is the page file?

probably you have selected system managed size.

Right click my computer. Properties. Advanced. Settings. Advanced. Virtual Memory, click change. Tick custom size.
Go to Top of Page

dbalearner

272 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-02 : 18:55:13
Thanks Russel, we have made changes to those programs which are unnecessary invoking and made changes to the Parameters connected with CPU and PF from the system parameters. Still it is rising consistently during the business hours of the transaction.

Could there be any other checks. Thanks once again.
Go to Top of Page

dbalearner

272 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-02 : 20:02:02
I have evne checked into Activity Monitor as what is going on but there were many processID's were in sleeping mode. is that the matter?
Let me ask what I exactly needs to look into the Activity Monitor?

Thanks Again.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-02 : 20:08:39
you didn't answer my questions. hard to help ya without the answers
Go to Top of Page

dbalearner

272 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-03 : 15:53:47
Thanks Russel. OS is Windows 2003 Server SP2 Ent. Edn. 64 GB RAM, PF is fluctuating between 25 - 65 During the Business hours.

I monitor through the Task manager's performance as you have mentioned earlier, from the toolbar.

We have several times organised with Reboot which I dont believe it correct.

Also, as you have mentioned to select Custom Size performed with relevant parameters, initially it is good but later as the days progresses it reverts back to the problem.

Thanks for your patience.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-03 : 16:03:58
I would set it to minimum of 2GB and max of 4GB to start with. Make sure to put one on each drive. Used to be that it was recommended to make the page file 1.0 to 1.5 times the amount of physical RAM onboard. This recommendation is a bit obsolete with the large amounts of RAM on today's servers. Still, I like to use 2-4 GB on most of my servers.

Are you running out of disk space? How did you determine this to be a problem?

Have you set the maximum server memory in the SQL Server properties tab in SSMS? I'd set it to probably 60GB

I'd also be interested in what (and why) is being paged out. Is this an OLTP system?

I want to point out that these are only recommendations, and any changes need to be monitored very closely, to be sure they don't negatively impact performance.
Go to Top of Page

dbalearner

272 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-03 : 17:58:53
Thanks for your reply and put it in implementation according to the situation.

This is Production Server and OLTP.

As there is no user transactions and any Server Link Acitivity and most of the users connected by means of Citrix were in sleeping mode, yet this paging is increasing, which we have curbed during non-business hours with reboot which only gives some reprieve. But largely I believe this is not going to give exact and permanent solution to the problem.

Thanks for your attention again.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-03 : 18:36:14
rebooting is only "fixing" it because you're clearing the cache when you reboot.

what is your page life expectancy? and cache hit ratio?
Go to Top of Page

khanewal
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-03 : 20:01:23
Hi Dear,

just few days ago I was facing the same problem, I applied all the settings by changing registry, changing virtual memory,but didn't fix permanently, so here is a solution,

Just you have to open your boot.ini file and u will find different switches, i.e. AWE, 3GB, before changing this file, take the backup and just remove 3GB switch and reboot the system, I am sure it will fix your problem, if not then leave this switch and remove other's one by one, when you find the problem is fix, then leave that file

hopefully it will help if you try this solution

Go to Top of Page

dbalearner

272 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-03 : 22:28:13
Thanks All. It worked out on Changing the Page file Usage parameter and also Khanewal it is good solution may be I will implement if it again recurring instead of Rebooting.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -