Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Querying data from SQL database through browser

Author  Topic 

PacketGnome
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-04 : 18:59:03
Hey let's say I just wanted to pull a few records from a SQL database using a web browser. At the bare minimum, what languages would I need to know?

melon.melon
Yak Posting Veteran

76 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-04 : 21:08:01
hi PacketGnome,

If you referring to building a web application and publishing it to a website that involves interaction with database one example language will be ASP.NET.
Go to Top of Page

MrQuizzles
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-05 : 15:03:07
Getting browsers to display information from a database requires a framework of technologies to make happen. It's not a simple affair, and you need to know a bunch of languages to do it.

If you're using a LAMP setup, then you need to know PHP and MySQL along with some xHTML and CSS for display purposes.

If you're using a Microsoft setup, then you need to know ASP.Net along with one of the .Net Languages (such as VB or F#) and Transact-SQL in addition to xHTML and CSS for display purposes.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-06 : 01:55:55
"I just wanted to pull a few records from a SQL database using a web browser"

Clearly you want something "lightweight". Can you explain a bit more what your needs are, there is probably some off-the-shelf solution that doesn't involve an application programming language like PHP or ASP.NET
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -