Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Need Advice - Moving Data Between Servers

Author  Topic 

Jkard883
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2010-02-12 : 17:22:22
Hi Friends,

I am in need of some thoughts on how to accomplish a task. I have a few ideas, but want to ping some other folks too to get a idea.

I have two SQL 2005 servers, one internal to my company, one hosted external (by Verio Hosting). The external SQL Server is the main server where data is logged from a external website.

I need to keep data in our development servers up to date with production. Up until now, it's been done by moving a bak between the two servers. This is cumbersome and time consuming.

What are your thoughts on the best way to keep the two servers up to date between each other??

I had thought replication, but have never set that up, so wanted to wait and see what other thoughts might be before going down that road (if it's the best choice).

I really don't have any limitations on what I use, as long as it works.

Thanks
Jay

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-13 : 03:02:53
I expect DEV server is good enough with data, say, a day old or even an on-demand refresh?

Is there data that you do not want on the DEV server? (we don't transfer Customer data, so that we don't accidentally Email real people from DEV) and we don't transfer sensitive information either (Credit cards, whatever ...)

We using staging tables to copy newer / changed rows, we have a column with an UpdateDate which is set whenever a row is added to / updated in the staging table, and then we transfer just the "more recent" rows to the other database - so a fairly minimal transfer. We do that on demand so that DEV knows when the data is going to change - and has a known, static, dataset in between times
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -